1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Media Center Keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 5 Oct 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

that article has just saved me a tidy wad of cash, was going to buy one this week and hadn't seen it at scan (£65 at ocuk!)

:thumb:

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Looks like a nice bit of kit... but will it work with win2k, i've never gotten round to upgrading.

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

would've been nice to see a trackpad or even trackball over the crappy nipple thing, really hate them :p

5. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Nice, but I'm still leaning toward the Belkin MediaPilot, especially as, like steveo_mcq I haven't got round to upgrading to Media Center (yet?)

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I was leaning towards the mediapilot until I used it

If youre using it for an htpc, I'd definitely say go for the MS one, as the "mouse" on the mediapilot is about as useful as a kick in the face

7. Edenalig

Edenalig What's a Dremel?

Just brought myself one of these, im expecting it tomorrow. Ill let you guys know what I think as soon as :)

8. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Hit us with the crotch shot why dont you, I know your game meelado! :naughty:

Anyway...

Thanks for posting this up, the keyboard that is, not the crotch shot. I was thinking about buying one to go with me media pc once its built and I think thats settled it, well so long as I can get the reciever for not too much (ebay). Are they infared, radio or ??

9. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Looks nice but why a keyboard now when the LCD keyboard is coming out next yaer. It will be fully customized to what ever you want.

10. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Good review except for a couple of things...

Battery life, range, rf, bluetooth, response?

11. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Why does it have to be IR so probably line of sight, RF would be so much better but I do like the backlight that would come in handy.

12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

We'll be finding out a little bit more on the extended use of this (as well as the greater annoyances that this may provide) with the rest of our HTPC content, as I think this will be an addition to our setup.

So, never fear...more info will arrive over time if you're not sure you want to take the plunge. I'm a little worried about what my Mrs. will have to say about the nipple, though, tbh... :D

13. dom_

dom_ --->

if its like the normal remote, it doesnt have to be line of site. just in the same room. the remote even works with the reciever covered up with my hand!

14. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Yeh, the IR tech used in the MCE remotes is brilliant

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

16. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

^_^ Out of context that sounds so wrong.

17. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Ive had this keyboard for over 3 weeks now and its great. I find it really comfortable perched on my knees doing a quick web search or email in front of the telly.

The nipple bit takes a bit of practice, but soon comes second nature. What may have been an additional nice touch would have been to replace this with the touch sensative pads you get on most notebooks which could be extracted from a slide out door. But thats just me and it would put the cost up.

Other than that the backlighting is really useful, and I think its a really good combination with the remote for most tasks.

18. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Nipple mice do take a while to get used to, but i find that you can perfrom better guestures with the nipple than with a touch pad. It looks Very nice but as already stated there isnt realy and long term testing like bettery life. Hell that one could be estimated. All in all tho a good read. :)

19. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Just got one of these but am having trouble getting it working properly.

My new media PC contains this and the Leadtek WinFast DTV1000 T TV Card and I did plan on using this keyboard with the reciever however the only buttons that seem to function are the ones that it is taught (TV and volume). Am I going to need to get the MCE hardware kit or is there something I am doing wrong?

I don't get why a wireless kb isn't packaged with a reciever, it's stupid! May have to pay an additional £20 for something that should have really come with it in the first place, and a remote that isn't needed!

20. Edenalig

Edenalig What's a Dremel?

Am I to assume that the WinFast card has its own IR receiver? Or do you have an MS remote and receiver? Also are you actually running an MCE2005 PC or just XP?

The idea of the keyboard is for MCE users (who would already have the remote/receiver) to add keyboard functionality. So buying this if you dont have MCE and/or the MCE remote kind of defeats the object!

Tags: Add Tags