1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project - OBSIDIA-Shiro - UPDATE:Project Completed, finished the laser cut madness

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KryptiK, 10 Aug 2012.

1. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

The Design
    The name OBSDIA-shiro is derived from the volcanic rock - obsidian, which is very hard and sharp (typically black in its colour) and the Japanese word for white - shiro. The design utilities the contrast between these two extremes in colours with the combination of red accents to create an subtle aggressive feel to the case. I tried to bring out beastly qualities through very distinct oblique and straight edges and the resulting shapes that were formed resemble the front and back legs of a 'beast'. The red trusses neatly frame the side panel windows and draw your vision towards the hardware inside.

The layout of the components was inspired by existing cases like the Raven series by Silverstone with the rotated motherboard configuration which allows for improved air cooling capabilities. Also, the front fins were inspired by heatsink designs; thought it would be appropriate to cover the front fans with this concept (would be awesome it they actually had a functional aspect that allowed for heat dissipation - unfortunately made of acrylic)

Background Info
    I would like share my Major Design Project build log with the guys and gals of the bit-tech community. For my Design & Technology HSC course I have chosen to design my own scratch built case (aka OSIDIA-Shiro). I'm currently in the process of finishing off the project that I have been working on since the beginning of the year. God knows how long I've been working on the 3D CAD drawings in Solidworks. The design itself has changed dramatically but the overall form and aesthetics have been kept. Finally have a design that I'm satisfied with.

I'll be sure to keep this build log updated to my current progress.

Really should have kept the final design a secret but... the hell with it couldn't wait any longer to show everyone.:blush:

[​IMG]

The entire chassis is made from several laser cut sheets of 600x300mm acrylic sheets of 6mm and 3mm thicknesses. Held together with IPS Weld-on #3 and a bunch of M3 and M4 bolts. As you can see in the image that a few pieces also need to be bent.

Sponsors
    Special Thanks to Lamptron and James Campbell for supporting this project.

[​IMG]

The Build Log
    Feels like I'm under the pump since the project is officially due on the 27th of August, so I need to have something that's finished and presentable for the markers to look at.
    Should of started this thread earlier but was very busy with studying for the trials exams (cough). And its nearing the end of the trial exam schedule so I have time to post this thread and finish building it. One more exam left.
    Most of the first few posts are things I did a while back.

Fortunately I have access to a laser cutter at school. First day of laser cutting. Came home with a huge mess of cut parts. Might have lost a few on the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This side panel window with magnet mounting holes didn't cut properly:sigh: You would think that if you had the laser cutter with settings for 6.01mm thickness for acrylic material (6mm thick) that it would cut through. I could feel under the sheet that it cut all the way through.

[​IMG]

It needed some light persuasion from a mallet to whack those pieces out. But it resulted with some ugly edges (knew it would happen but had to give it a try anyway). So this needs to be cut again :wallbash:

[​IMG]

On the other remaining side window I inserted some 3x10mm neodymium magnets. They apparently have a pull strength of 1.9kg which should be more than adequate for holding the 6mm acrylic panel in place. It took a bit of force to remove it from my ruler.

[​IMG]

Here's a peek at the few components together.

[​IMG]

So after that incident with the 6mm laser cutter setting, I learned my lesson and used a test piece of 10mm clear acrylic to play around with intensities before I started to cut.
    On the right is the perfect setting - giving a clean polished edge while
    left was a higher setting - resulting in fusing/melting of the sheet and causing distorted edges

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Nov 2012
  2. Snowcrash

Snowcrash What's a Dremel?

Cool design, man, and good looking parts too :thumb:

Would be great if you could show how the parts are joined together and the rest of the little details.

Btw, no doubt you'll be fine with the 6mm, but are you sure the 3mm parts will be sturdy enough? unless these are relatively small pieces, acrylic of this thickness tends to bend rather easily if it's put under pressure...

Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses :rock:

3. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

Most of the components are joined with bolts and brackets. Used mostly for joining two 6mm thick parts M4x12mm for structural/support and M3x12mm for the rest. In some areas I choose to glue parts together as it would give the case a cleaner look.

Had to use the big daddy M10 for this other component (I'll show you later)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tapping holes with M4 thread. It made life a lot easier by tapping all the hole first before gluing the brackets.

[​IMG]

Some more tapping, this time M3. Probably took all morning that day trying to get all components threaded. Tapping acrylic is a lot more forgiving than alu, I broke a tap while trying to do so when I was prototyping.

[​IMG]

Before gluing I thought it would be best to clean the surfaces with isopropyl to remove impurities (since most of the parts were collecting dust around my house). On some edges there was soot left over from the laser cutting process.

[​IMG]

Using Weld-on #3 that my friend lent me in a mysterious bottle labeled "glue"
    I was difficult trying to get my hands on a syringe with a tip (would have need easier if I were a druggo). Some pharmacies and chemists have needle exchange programs - their the ones to buy em from :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parts that are not joined directly with a bolt-bracket-bolt configuration are like these where I carefully aligned the part 3mm from the edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The brackets are composed of two parts that are joined together like so.

[​IMG]

Finished gluing the brackets.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned going to add more juicy info soon :D

4. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

Painting time!

First up, some wet sanding with 600grit. Made a makeshift sanding block with Styrofoam (its great for those curved edges)

[​IMG]

Nice and frosty :brrr:

[​IMG]

Took a tip from Bill Owen :dremel: in his tutorial for spray painting with aerosol cans. Soaking it in warm water, giving the can better flow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After first few coats and wet sanding.

[​IMG]

The parts are quiet fragile, dropped one of them... :wallbash:

[​IMG]

Waited for the paint to cure and joined it back together and resprayed. You wont even see the part when its assembled but that little chip is annoying me.

[​IMG]

The overall finish is reasonable quality. I'm no professional :duh:

5. Steve_of_Death

Steve_of_Death What's a Dremel?

gonna be amazing when you finish it

6. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

Oh I might as well show you guys what part of the case was going to look like. My original idea was to make it out of aluminum, which the idea was scrapped because of my lack of skill and accuracy with working with tools :waah:

[​IMG]

This increases my appreciation even more for Attila's skills in working with alu is phenomenal :rock:

So anyways here are so more pics. A very shiny motherboard tray. It's high gloss black acrylic.

[​IMG]

Bottom fan grill supports dual 120mm fans (could fit a radiator under there as well) with ports for cable management.

[​IMG]

Front 360 rad fan mounting.

[​IMG]

A peek at some of the assembly. So many bolts! :eeek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and with the side panel window on. Didn't take the protective film off (don't want to scratch it)
    The cluster of M3 bolts in the top left on the rear leg is ugly :blah:
    should have glued that bracket onto the leg instead

[​IMG]

This is what a mostly assembled side of the case looks like. The odd looking black parts were glued on while the other parts are bolted together.

[​IMG]

7. J-Lyons

J-Lyons What's a Dremel?

This may be the best design I have ever seen.

8. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

Here are some images from Solidworks. Btw this was my first time ever using this 3D CAD program, over the past few months I've had some massive improvements. Self taught how to use it (it was surprisingly intuitive to learn, the tools work as I would except them too)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rotated motherboard tray design was inspired by Silverstone Raven series of cases. noticed that these cases only had one handle on the top which is odd, so I've included two handles so I can actually be carried. My design supports mATX specs and the ability to mount a 360 rad at the front and 240 rad at the bottom. The pump would go in the back, underneath the PSU.

From my Photoview 360 plugin in Solidworks, the photo-realistic renders aren't a true representation of the aesthetics in my opinion. The colours and lighting need to be adjusted :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would love to read your opinions and evaluation on the aesthetics of the project. Right now I'm working on gluing some more parts together, will update soon.

9. J-Lyons

J-Lyons What's a Dremel?

I am speechless...

10. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

Another update!

Today I was mainly gluing brackets to components. The 3mm sheet was bolted to the bracket and the bracket then glued like so. The fan grill panel was aligned to the corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This part was kinda fiddly to get the bracket aligned perfectly parallel since it was basically floating around (besides the connection to a parent part).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I didn't have any more 6mm white acrylic i used two sheets of 3mm bonded together. Not sure if this part will bend properly with a heat gun. :worried:

[​IMG]

I'll try some bending tomorrow :D

11. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

After all that gluing I really wanted to see what this baby looks like :naughty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not bad :) and so far its going smoothly

fairly sturdy structure even though I haven't added all the cross bracing and its not that heavy either

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

bloody hell mate, this is incredible!:jawdrop:

13. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Fist time im seeing this log :jawdrop: that is turning out REAL nice and tidy!! gonna follow this one closely!

:confused: You not worried those rare earth magnets are going to inter fear with anything inside the box?? they generally have a pretty large and powerful field :confused:

Last edited: 11 Aug 2012
  14. KryptiK

KryptiK What's a Dremel?

Cheers :D it took quiet a while to get it all together. Lots of planning was done, but I think it needed some more.

This is the type of magents i'm using
    http://aussiemagnets.com.au/product/-10mm-x---3mm-Disc-North-Pole-Dent-%28Rare-Earth%29-%28Packs-of-20%2C-50%2C-100%29.html

True that the field is relatively large (tested it out myself, placed one magnet on its edge and rotated another at a distance around 10cm away and the field is still faintly present). Even though it has a large mag field its exponentially weaker. The HDD's are positioned at least 15cm away; magnets shouldn't interfere with any of electrical components anyway.

15. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Looking great so far, I wish I had access to a lasercutter...oh the possibilities! :lol:

16. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

This is looking awesome dude ! sort of industrial and sporty blended together, love it let's see some more.

17. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

impressive!

18. aeidau

aeidau Industrial Designer

Keyshot will give you better renders for .SLD files ;)

Looking good mate :thumb:

19. Mizugetsu

Mizugetsu What's a Dremel?

This is so awesome

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Neat design. I like the 'stance' it has. We ran into a similar problem laser cutting thicker plexi. It retains heat long enough to melt the seam back together in the tighter cuts.

The water bottle full of solvent bugs me. I was instantly reminded of the "The Young Ones" episode with the homicidal maniac potion in a Coke can.
    "I just bet someone will drink that later...":worried: