1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Keeping in the family. Mp's give spouses £1.3m pay rise.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 7 Dec 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Members of parliament paid their relatives and loved ones more than ££.7 last year an increase of more than 50% since the general election.
    Some Figures from the times this morning.

Mp's employing relatives.
    137 2011-2012
    167 2013-2014

Number of relatives.

Total pay for relatives.
    £2.4m
    £3.8m

#Average pay for relatives.
    £17.101
    £22.240

Total expenses claims, all
    £71m
    £101m

Whitehall watchdogs had demanded an end to practice of employing relatives on what were on occasion doubtful legitimate employment but the MP's objected and was dropped and not included in the so called tougher expenses regime yet the bill climbs ever higher. 103m quid buys a lot of duck houses.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's not terrible in that there is an argument towards using your spouse or another family member as a PA, considering their access to the MP it makes some sense.

But they've taken the piss too much for too long and it's time for a shake up.

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

The average pay is what makes me not worry about this kind of thing. Given that whitehall entirely relies on unpaid interns, I think there are great problems than 170 odd MP relatives doing a bit of admin for pretty normal wages.

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

The starting/lowest rate for the people ( juniors/secretary ) working in the architects offices where I clean is £20 ( an hour ), gradually climbing up to £80 for the bosses as such, so I'd agree the amount they are earning is fair enough for the type of job. But yeah, they are taking the piss when it comes to how legit many of these jobs are- more transparency and better book keeping to prove work done etc.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Is that £22.240 the average hourly wage or is it meant to be an average annual wage of £22,240?

Also, it would be good to know the median average wage since we don't know how many are employed for how many hours. (How many are full versus part time etc)

6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Source would be useful given some of the info is garbled...

7. iggy

iggy Minimodder

I'd be willing to bet these relatives are all employed in name only.