1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iMac or not to iMac that is the question..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flame696, 10 Apr 2012.

1. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Right im really caught in a conundrum.... I want to get an iMac 27" but i cant get enough money together and the waiting is doing my head in as i dont have the patience. The other problem i have is that i have a Asus GeneZ/GEN3, Corsair AX850 and 4gb RAM and a i3 2120 CPU, along with the rig in my sig (see below) doing nothing.

The 2 things I can do is try and sell the things I have and get the iMac, but not all things will sell and if they do sell they will go for a lot less then what i paid for them and postage will be a headache.

OR.....

Build a system with a mATX case, the items stated above and get a Dell 27" monitor for £400

Please help im soo confused :sigh:

2. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

iMac's are great for people that want a OOBE that is easy and simple to use, they dont want to tinker they dont want to mess about.

Knowning you, you will buy it, love it, get bored of it, sell it for 15% less than you paid for it within 6 months.

If you have cash lying about, sure do it and take the hit, if you dont, use your sig rig and spend the money on the u2711 - trust me you will love it.

BennieboyUK

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I would save the extra money and go for a U3011 from NRG:IT.

You will get bored of an iMac quickly unless you want a very simple interface and software :)

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Flame: Do I buy an iMac?
    Noiz: No. /thread

On a more serious tone, I would have stuck to what you had, but you sold it. I still wouldn't buy the iMac though, the PC will always be more flexible and more easy to cater to your needs. I'd use the i3 and everything, get the good monitor and start upgrading ASAP ;)

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

iMac, no. Monitor, yes.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Dell u2711 all the way.

followed by hackintosh if you really want Mac experience.

7. flame696

hmmm some interesting points. One of the reasons i was going to buy the iMac was becuase it was an all in one unit, less mess and takes up less room

8. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

id get a new monitor with the money like everyone else is saying

9. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

well, for an all in one, they are all expensive, but an imac is probably quite a good choice. but tbh i can deal with a little mess

10. noizdaemon666

No Flame NO!!! You're being sucked in by the marketing. Stick with Windows and a proper PC. All in one won't save that much space at 27 inch lol

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Unless you're really stuck for space, that's not really a reason, you should have plenty of room for a mid tower, or even a mitx build if you're a little confined.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Personally, if you aren't gaming, and are used to the Mac OS, I think buying a iMac would be a very good investment. If you really don't like it, they do hold their value well.

13. flame696

You try tell my wife that im using a small shelf at the minute and even then im being verbally abused about the amount of pc stuff i have :wallbash::waah:

A good point i have seen older macs from 3 years old fetching a £££s where as if that was a PC it wouldnt even be worth postage

also Tom im going to text you regarding the case again.

i think enough is enough and i need to put my foot down...im the man of the house not my wife, i wear the Trousers! :worried::worried:

14. noizdaemon666

But it's so much more difficult to upgrade a Mac. Put your foot down Flame and reclaim some more land for the PC!

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

renovate your front room into your study!

by the shelf was it the piece of wood between fireplace and window you had your PC on when i bought the ipad off you? that's no place for a PC enthusiastic's pride and joy.

16. flame696

yup thats the place where i have my PC :waah: but she wants me to reduce the space even more (in depth) so its in line with everything :wallbash:

17. noizdaemon666

Do what I did, move house and claim half a bedroom as your own :thumb:

18. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't bother. You're loosing too much with the iMac. Grab a U2711 and Hackintosh your PC; it's not difficult and is a great way to run OS X without loosing the advantages of running your PC. Won't go into any further detail on here however, as I don't know whether the mods are okay with Hackintosh talk.

If you want a real Mac, U2711 along with a Mac mini. That said, it's ridiculous that the Thunderbolt models don't accept a DisplayPort input signal.

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Get a PC, then choose:

1) Mod install the components on a piece of wood bolted to the wall
    Like this

Or this

2) mATX with a nice Case

3) iTX with a case like This

I had the same issue when getting my wife a PC for her work. We went with option 2 and spent the difference on a 256GB SSD, i72600k, Gene-Z, Blu-ray burner, 8GB RAMM and of course the U2711

It sits in the bedroom and is quite quite.

20. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

I'd definitely go for the monitor, it's a terrific buy.
    I'm not saying the iMac is bad, as I quite like them when it comes to editing music, but it by no means warrants its price unless you run a lot of music programs.