1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Killzone 2 deliberately set expectations high

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

It wouldn't be too farfetched to actually achieve what the 2005 trailer demonstrated with a few sacrifices in frame rate and draw distance. I'd like to see that rather than the immersive experience be traded off, no matter how fast the frame rate is.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i dont get why are developers still try to develop FPS in console... reallly... i tried a few classic FPS games in console and EVERYBODY knows its nowhere NEAAAAAAAAAR the accuracy and comfort level of a keyboard+mouse combo........ either create a keyboard+mouse combo for consoles and make it affordable, or keep FPS games to PC.

and if ur really really anal on making FPS in console, then for godsake, dont make it EXCLUSIVELY to console...

dumb. pathetically dumb.

edit: ok that being said, i got 2 more points:
    1. yeah, the newer one is definitely *uglier* (check out the fire trail lol), but still pretty darn impressive... id love to see what a high-end PC can render.. in Dx10 nonetheles... i'll play that for sure.
    2. it looks like accuracy is not the most important thing in this game... a la Gears of War.... (try to) point, squeeze button, and rain leads.... the more u shoot the better u are. so maybe its not a bad idea to actually have it in a console. but still... like that review of that Dx10 games u guys just reviewed, it can be ridicolously easy with a PC.... so i dunno...

Last edited: 11 Jul 2007
  4. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Red, you do know that you can use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard setup with the PS3; something you can't do on the 360, so it does make sense that they are still making FPS's on consoles (atleast for the PS3).

5. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

I like the way they point out the necessity of the BluRay drive -- I see too many people commenting about how the BR drive in the PS3 is a "waste" unless you want to watch movies...people just fail to realize that those 50GB can come in quite handy for game developers. Just as games moved from floppy, to multiple floppies, to CD, to multiple CD's, to DVD, to multiple DVD's...so must we progress to higher capacity media like bluray.

Also, I'm wondering how much of a roll the Cell processor plays in this game's realism -- along with proving the utility of the BluRay drive, it'd be interesting if this game also proved what code optimized for the Cell can really do. Could a similar game possibly be created for the 360, which lacks the BluRay drive and (at least according to Sony) has an inferior processor?

Sure, the 360 is touted to have a better graphics chip...but I'm hoping Sony can prove its advantage in these other two areas. And they're really only going to prove such benefits with "Exclusive" games that don't have to play to the "least common denominator" in one way or another.

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I think this article is missing a critical point; this is by far the best looking console game since Gears of War. The only mention of it's visuals given was that it looks "worse" than the old E3 trailer. From what we've seen of Killzone 2 and from what other journalists on other sites who got to watch a dev play through the entire first level have said, it's without a doubt the most impressive looking console game they've seen.

For an HD version of the trailer go http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21504.html <there

7. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I need to check this trailer out when I get home......

8. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

um let me see......because a family with a family pc wont be up to the standards to play decent PC FSP games and can forget about 1080p. The kids are more likely to have a games console and your saying that its anal to make FSP games so that they cant enjoy the genre???]

Get real mate, not everyone can afford a £2K PC to play games at 1080P on Pc but maybe at only £250 -£350 for a 360 or PS3 to play at 1080P it looks more viable. FSP games are great on console and yes they are better on PC but still, just because they are rgeat to play with Mouse an keyboard its not fare to deny console gamers the fun of FSP games.

I play BF2, CCS etc on PC but I still love to sit down and play Rainbow six and Gears on Console to just sit back on the sofa and have fun. If I want something more serious I go on PC. But not everyone has the luxury to have both options.

9. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Price.

A $300 360, you would have to spend at least $1000+ to get the same performance.

Next time you post, try using the word "you", and keep the comma count down.

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I'm willing to trade my computer in for a PS3. I'm not obsessed over it or short on cash rather, as explained by mikeuk2004, it can do everything I need exceedingly well. Also, just because FPS games are available on a console, by no means can I claim it's better than PC equivalents--because even the best console shooter can never supercede the best for a PC.

To punctuate the issue: you don't have to be a strictly hardcore gamer to appreciate a game console; conversely, you don't need to hate one so much to be an intense gamer, either.

**edit: anyone comparing PC and console platforms on the premise of performance deserves to my scrotum between your lips--that approach is some low, kiddie sh*t. Get a grip and look at them at a cost-to-entertainment value perspective.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2007
  11. Krieger91

Krieger91 What's a Dremel?

12. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

The Sony press conference just wrapped up. They showed extended gamplay footage of Killzone 2 for a few minutes at the end. It looks amazing. There was bigger news, but I'm gonna make a new topic for it on the gaming section.

13. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

blu ray drive essential my crack

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's essential if you want the whole game on one disc, because each of the levels is ~2GB of data. If you were using DVD, that'd mean a max of four levels per disc.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i was expecting something a little more impressing......

and cost-to-functionality.....

edit:
    either that or use another "Allegorithm" and transform the textures into procedural... and at the speed the BRD drive reads the disk i think i will wait a bit until i can play that 2Gb level.

16. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I was hoping entertainment value would encompass that as well. Eh, whatevs.

17. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

aye if its 2gb a level ps3 owners are welcome to killzone, the first one wasnt even that great, and if you want to wait till christmas for each level to load, be my guest.

18. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Its no good having massive levels if your read speed is only 2x. Enjoy your massive load times.

19. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Data is actually streamed off of the media using the PS3's RAMBUS XDR DRAM--memory that operates at 3200MHz--rather than cached in its entirety.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

yap, that's true :)

Tags: Add Tags