1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Sandy Bridge E Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 14 Nov 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Disappointed

Glad I invested ion 2600K's now. Nothing here to make me move to Socket 2011, espcially seeing how hot the vrm's run. I'd need full cover waterblocks and they add another £100 to any build.

Any chance of some measure of the folding performance on SMP's and BIGADV's? Surely that is the perfect application for such chips.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

for that much more money, screw it.

i'm still happy with my Q6600 G0 @3.6Ghz. haven't seen anything I use daily that utilizes it to the max.

maybe when 'E' series is out the mobo price would go down. then maybe its time to move to DDR3... lol

4. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

I think it is hardware out striping software here...

5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

If want stock you could buy from ocUK.. they have them in stock and with stock as limited as it is it could remain that way for a while yet.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2011
  6. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

.....Expensive

7. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

My 2600k is very sufficient for my "Gamer" needs and I agree fully with the review. Although if I did go with a LGA2011 CPU, the most obvious choice would be the 3930K. Very good CPU's, with the price's being the biggest let down (which was expected tbh).

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Very happy with my day 1 purchase of a 2500k. I have had great performance since February (nearly solely in games mind) and despite a mobo replacement because of the chipset bug I'm a happy customer. I very rarely buy brand new kit (normally waiting for prices to level out etc.) but this has given me excellent value for money.

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

We'll try and take a look at this at some point. However, with Stanford buggering about with the BIGADV servers for the last few weeks its been impossible to do any benchmarking because we can't get the Assignment Servers to hand out the units we need.

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

On a side note, does this mean we can expect a Corsair H80 review soon? Seeing as you've using one for this article?

11. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

That must kill Intel, after all that wait it was so bad we are more interested in the CPU cooler :=)

12. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

GeorgeK -

Its in the new mag :p

13. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Bit Tech already said it, with the lack of features, seems like Intel didn't really bother with this to be honest. After AMD's flop it's easy to see why :(
    Although I spose the i7-3930K will be decent for applications above consumer grade. It seems to do pretty well, esp. against two very expensive Xeons. Although, gotta admit, an i7-2600K makes everything more expensive look quite silly. :D

14. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Completely agree with you here as most applications still just spam core 0 with requests, would seem pointless other than braging rights to buy it.I still yet to max out my I7 920 at stock speeds of 2.9GHZ with turbo most programs are memory hounds.:brrr:

15. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Good - no need to upgrade from my Gulftowns.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

nice to see it compete with the duel xeon systems for £1100 less no dout. if you need a server level pc this isnt a bad cpu ( price will never be competitive and this market gets worse, price up 2 top end xeon cpus + mobo and ecc ram to see what i mean )

Do intel care i dout it they have no reason too.still waiting for ivy bridge i guess

makes the i7920 to 950 range of cpus look exeptional value for money if you brought one back on release your looking at nearly 3-4 years of close to top end performance once overclocked. And even standard most of the them are more than fast enough for the general consumer

Technology has reached its limits in games whilst current consoles hold back a market that isnt technology led any more the ps3 is running on old nvidia graphics from 3 generations ago. most games dont max out 3 threads let alone 12.

For a gamer id be inclined to say a 2500k is overkill till the next generation of consoles are released a good old i5 750 will probably do the job and i dout the performance penalty is there ( you may lose a few minimum but if your over 60 fps or 30fps depending on game type does it really matter), Very few gamers are running eyeinifity setups or nvidias 3d stuff.

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Don't waste your money on it, trust me I have one sat in the box here waiting to go in my media server simply because it is a nightmare to fit, took 12 refit's to get it sat properly on my 920 and that was indicated each time by stupidly high temp's at stock speed.

Then once I managed to get it sat properly and started to overclock my 920, I was only able to take it to 3.6ghz with the stock fan's and by changing those fan's to some Sytche ones I managed to get it to 4.8ghz but the temp's were still in the high 80's per core at 1.35v.

When I changed to a custom loop with a dual rad and used the same setting's and fan's I managed to drop the temp's down to 72c per core, and by changing to a triple rad and upping the speed and voltage to 4.2ghz/1.40v my temp's went to 74c.

I also tried it on my overclocked sandy bridge 2500K @ 4.8ghz and it was giving temp's of 65c per core, using the stock fan's so I just went back to the air cooler which gives temp's of around 71c per core.

Not to mention the H80 sound's like you have a jet turbine sat next to your ear as well, I would simply not recommend it to anyone and the only reason I am going to use it in my media server is because that will be in my shed so I won't hear it at all.

18. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Is it possible also to include stats for the v7 beta when you do folding performance reviews? It is coded differently, although for CPUs maybe not too differently. Where it will be useful is for ATI/AMD GPUs, which have much better support in v7, so any reviews for them on the older released v6.x versions do not take that into account. The current v7 beta is, for me at least, stable, and performs well.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

QFT, launch day buyer of I7 920 here, couldn't be bothered by Sandybridge, can't be bothered by SB-E and Ivy Bridge will soon arrive to solve the only drawback of a Oc'd I7 920, power consumption.

20. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I don't think it's that bad, it's actually quite good, but let down on it's massive power draw and price.

I think you lot have all been spoiled with 1155 performance and were expecting another huge jump. I just don't think we are going to see some thing like that again for a while.

Tags: Add Tags