1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Rasberry Pi Competition: The J box

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jcb121, 29 Jan 2013.

1. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

So, Starting a project just to motivate myself!

I'm currently in the stages of waiting until payday to buy stuff! (thursday!)

I plan to make one of the best Xmbc boxes going.

It's going to have a Wifi, 16gb on the usb, 16gb sd Card, Bluetooth, IR remote and an external usb.

I'm toying with the idea of de-soldering the RCA, Audio and GPIO to make more space in my tiny case.

I already have my Pi and have been playing around with it.

though I do need a tad bit of advice. I need to relocate the power connection, so I was going to hack a micro usb cable to a panel mount connection.

but I'm struggling to find one small enough, a DC 5.5mm jack is too big and long for my planned case.

and ideas guys?

current progress: 1%
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Desoldering the jacks would actually violate the rules of the contest, as the case needs to have all the ports accessible.

Anyways, nice to see the first contestant :)

3. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

well I'm not going to be able to enter then :l
    i'll just make it and enjoy it then!

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Hi jcb121. Unfortunately as jrs77 says, the original ports need to be usable - this is to ensure that everyone's working to a similar design for the competition. Is there any way we can persuade you to enlarge the design a little to fit the ports? :naughty:

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

nothing wrong with extending the jacks though ;) My Pi has been happily running in a Cooks match box for months now I am working on a proper enclosure for it but sadly my plans are some what larger though i may have a dabble.

But yes nothing wrong with extending the ports and dont forget you dont have to have that USB hub as a sandwich layer either you have a fair amount of space to play with there.