1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting plastic.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kronos, 4 Apr 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have a Corsair Carbide 240 arriving today to replace the annoying but great looking Parvum and given the number of fans I will probably use a fan controller is a must. As cash is tight and white controllers are thin on the ground I thought that I would paint an unused Akasa controller I have and while I am at it paint the front bezel of an optical drive.

At the moment I am in sand down mode. Will probably use Plastikote as I have some primer and top coat left over from another job.

As the bezel has been painted before that is proving a challenge to remove but elbow grease will win out. The controller and the 5.1 tray converter will be simple enough.

After sanding do I need to do anything more prior to priming to insure a good fix would hate the paint to chip with the slightest knock?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wouldn't you be better off using a Vinyl Dye, Glenn? I haven't used it myself yet, but I've heard good things about it.

3. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

the only other thing i do after sanding is give it a bit of a wipe down with washing up liquid on a cloth, it gets rid of any left over dust and Any grease that could be on it *finger prints ect*

i do allot of model making and its always helped to do the above step, Also i normally do a few thin coats of primer rather than trying to get it covered in one go.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Limited budget Dave and I do have the paint to hand.

Actually left the plastic parts soaking in saddle soap which has cleaned the plastic parts quite nicely. As for several coats of primer given the size of the pieces a pass by with the paint will be one coat I would imagine. But good advice.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

In the process of stripping.
    [​IMG]

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Done.

[​IMG]