1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Interior Design Software, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by adzc1987, 7 Feb 2014.

1. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Hey all, recently purchased a house with the other half.

She is keen to decorate and i recall years ago I had a demo of some interior design software, I was wondering if any one has any experience of any such software?

Nothing extremly complicated that actual interior designer would use, just something a general computer user could use.

Thanks

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

One option is to use SketchUp to mock up the basic construction. You can then rotate the camera around and export jpgs for various views, and then print them out. Once you have some printouts of your barebones room construction, you can find furniture and wall/floor decor samples in magazines or on the web, and you can cut those out and place them on your printouts to get ideas of how different styles and color combinations come together.

Professional decorators sometimes use the same technique to give clients a more visual representation of how a living space comes together with different furniture and colors.

Ninja Edit
    I've actually done this quite a few times in my current job. As managers rotate in and out, each one wants to rebuild and/or redecorate the office suites and meeting rooms. I have SketchUp files for many of the common spaces, and it's easy to add and subtract walls or move things around, and I can edit the texture files to illustrate how the room will look with different pictures on the walls. And with freely available online SketchUp resources, I can literally drop in just about any office furniture I need.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2014
  3. Kyle P JMC

Kyle P JMC What's a Dremel?

Theres also a program called Sweet home 3D,which is fairly easy to build rooms using point and click tools, these can then be coloured and furniture added,

You then use virtual visit to look around the room, its free at http://www.sweethome3d.com

ive found it quicker to build rooms than sketchup, just my 2 cents :)

4. megamale

megamale Minimodder

+1 for Sweet Home 3D. I have used it quite extensively. If you happen to have a scan of the floor plan(s). You can build 80% of the house pretty quickly. You can also import furniture models from a few CAD formats.

That said, if you want to put the effort in it (I didn't) I guess sketchup is more powerful and can be worth getting comfortable with if you envisage using CAD for anything else in the future (think 3D printers...)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

5. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Cheers for the help all, ill give them a look see. :)