1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What sort of screw is this? / Where to buy bolts

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-23315, 18 May 2012.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Need help ASAP on this one fellas, what the heck kind of head is this?

[​IMG]

Its got 6 points in its star shape and is very very shallow with a rounded bottom. I've been through every possible head for a screw driver we've got and I still dont have anything to fit it.

Im utterly stuck until I can get this blighter out

Help is very much appreciated as Im going to be sitting in the car outside B&Q until I get an answer :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: 20 May 2012
  2. paz45

paz45 What's a Dremel?

torx head

Guest-23315 likes this.
  3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've been trying torx head but they don't seem to grip it well enough.. Perhaps I just need an even smaller one..

4. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Guest-23315 likes this.
  5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Perfect, I'll have a look see in the shops.

+/rep given

:thumb:

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Seeing as no-one sells the damn things, ordered a Draper set off Amazon

7. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

maplins if you got one bit late now :p

8. dbradford32

dbradford32 What's a Dremel?

You can get the bit sets from auto parts shops, and they will fit sockets, and screw drivers that accept bits. ;) They are called security bits, and it comes with a lot of different bits!

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's not a security/tamperproof torx head. The TTX heads have a small "nub" in the middle of the head that won't allow a standard Torx driver to be inserted into the star. That's just a standard small Torx screw All you should need to get it out is a precision Torx set :confused:

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It's a star point. I think thats what they call them. defo not a torx.

11. Unicorn

- If it has 5 points, it's a five lobed Torx Tamper Proof. It also has to have a raised "dot" or "nub" in the middle to qualify as being a TTX screw head. Very uncommon here in the UK, definitely rare to see it on consumer products anywhere. The 6-point TTX is much more common.
    - If it has 6 points and no nub in the middle (or well) of the head, it's a standard Torx head. If you haven't got one small enough to fit it in a standard Torx set, you need a precision Torx driver set. I have precision drivers in T4, T5, T6, T7, T8 and T10. In TTX I have T8T, T10T, T15T, T20T, T25T, T27T, T30T and T40T. With these two sets, I have never come across a standard or tamper proof Torx star screw that I couldn't tackle.

If it's really neither of these, the only other thing that it could be is a Pentalobe, which has 5 points in a star. If it's one of those, I'll eat my hat. From the picture I assume this is holding the I/O ports into the front of a Lian-Li case. From past experience, that's a Torx.

Last edited: 18 May 2012
  12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its a six point and with a rounded point. I've got a whole host of torx bits, but none fitted..

I think its going to be a T8, and the smallest I had was a T10

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Draper set arrived, and yes, it was a T8 torx and the smallest bit I had previously was a T10, hence me not being able to get it out.

In other news, for £5, the Draper set is surprisingly good :thumb:

14. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

The 5 pointed torx are popular in Apple laptops now-a-days.

15. Unicorn

Now you're referring to a pentalobe. There's a difference between 5-point Tamperproof Torx screws and Pentalobe screws. Believe me, I'm an expert at taking stuff apart, especially Apple stuff! :D

I can also put it back together again. Just to clarify ;-)

Good news :thumb: And yes, the Draper bit sets are great value. All of my "big" Torx sets are Draper, from the bit sets to the actual TTX drivers. My precision Torx set is made by Duratool, also brilliant quality and value.

Last edited: 19 May 2012
  16. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Hey, if there are only a couple screws left over after replacing the logic board on a macbook pro, you're golden!! :thumb:

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Also, where can I get a bunch of M4 socket head bolts which don't take decades to deliver?

Screwfix seems all out

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

there are a few decent ebay shops i use that don't charge the earth, have a look

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

20. Unicorn

I hope you're joking :worried: There should be no screws left over after replacing anything on... anything! That being said, a 5 year old Acer laptop came across my bench a couple of weeks ago to have a DC jack replaced. Of the 24 screws required to hold the case together (a silly number because it's an older, bigger laptop), I removed four. Where were the other twenty? Out looking for last year's snow! :hehe: I put it back together with a brand new screw set. I wouldn't dare put one of our service labels on anything that was re-assembled incorrectly, and that includes just one screw or screw cover missing :thumb: