1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to water?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by hairyknacker, 15 Aug 2015.

1. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Now then- after having to ditch a wc system a fea years ago due to issues- missus thiught case was too big and lost my office space, ive been using a corsair 540 case with a 4770k under an aio witb. Gtx980 on air, getting itchy fingers for the H2O again
    Due to case limitations i think iwill only get 2 x240/280 rads in and will this be sufficient for modest o/c cpu is a crap one and only allows around 4.2 and no o/c on the gtx980
    Any recommendations on pump and reservoir as previously had a bay reservoir but cant fit one in the 540 as i need to have the 5.25 bays filled

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

2 x 240 rads should easily cool both an overclocked CPU and overclocked 980GTX. A small EK tube res and either a D5 Vario or Swiftech 35X (if you can find one) for a pump.

I like PWM pumps as 95% of the time they can run at the slowest speed and only ramp up if/when the loop is under load.

3. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Cool- dont suppose it will really matter which way I route the loop- would likely be res-pump-rad 1- cpu- rad-gpu-res

4. Big Elf

Providing you have sufficient rad area then no, it doesn't matter about loop order (although res before pump is easiest to fill) as temperatures equalize throughout and shortest tubing lengths are best (but don't make a great deal of difference in a small loop). It's not necessary to put a rad between each heat producing component.

5. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Just received a job lot of fittings for this rebuild and need to order tubing but want to check that I get right size.
    Fittings are barrow 3/8" so I would need 1/2 od 3/8 id am I correct?

TVMIA

6. Big Elf

Are they barbs or compression fittings? If barbs then you want 3/8"ID and the OD can be 1/2" or 5/8". With compressions you need to match the ID and OD exactly. If you're unsure then link to the ones you bought.

Thicker wall tubing is better for bends.

7. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

they are compression fittings so have just ordered 1/2 od 3/8 id so all should be good- thanks for reply btw Elf

8. Colaboy

Colaboy What's a Dremel?

you will need 3/8" - 1/2" which are 9.5mm - 12.7mm tubing, and sorry about the delay for the fittings.