1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Interesting blog on Nvidia, from a dev.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 29 Sep 2014.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Article.

Seems like they’ve forgotten where they came from to some extent. This patent stuff leaves a sour taste in the mouth too.

2. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

I have always been an nvidia man but what's happens next if they do lose out will I have to jump ship or drown

They need to listen to the customers too eg drivers

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Sounds like a whine blog post from someone that has been abusing what the patent covers. Anyone with sence would of told you that k1 is not gonna be a big financial success, mobile has 2 big high end players neither wants anything to do with nvidia.

The rest can't afford the nvidia product line anymore, it also shows though that there desktop business is not making massive money. Interesting that he says AMD are number 1 on desktop PCs as last I checked Intel owns 50-60% of the market. With nvidia and AMD splitting the rest.

Worrying for gamers is the fact that AMD are really struggling with a horrible process that is just like the old pentiums super power consumption heat and noise, if nvidia are really in financial mess as his blog post makes out then we're does that leave the dedicated gpus that we all buy.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems a bit odd that he says he's not registered with the CUDA/GPU Computing, or the NVIDIA GameWorks developer programs and then moans about how he knows nothing about how Nvidia GPU's work.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Two things, there: when he's talking about GPUs, he's talking about discrete GPUs and not IGPs. Intel doesn't make any discrete GPUs. Second: he's clearly not a writer, because that sentence is really badly phrased. When he says 'on the desktop market they still have brand recognition as the #1 GPU maker,' he's actually talking about Nvidia and not AMD - this is made clear by the parenthetical addition 'and NV drivers are certainly better than AMD’s.' This interpretation is confirmed by the following sentence, which reads 'if they don’t act fast; they’ll eventually lose that comfortable position;' if he was talking about AMD, why would the failings of Nvidia he's outlined in the article cause AMD to 'lose that comfortable position?'

Here's what I believe he meant, rather than what he wrote: 'On the other fronts, AMD is clearly cornering Nvidia with AMD's GCN-everywhere + Mantle + Openness strategy. On the desktop market Nvidia still has brand recognition as the #1 discrete GPU maker, and Nvidia drivers are certainly better than AMD's, but if Nvidia doesn't act fast it will eventually lose that comfortable position.'

6. rollo

rollo Modder

The way you put it makes a tonne more sense than his post did

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Glad it was useful!

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't know enough about his area of expertise, but I read that more as sour grapes than anything else.

As for the lawsuit, is it any more or less tenuous than the tripe trotted out between Apple and Samsung?

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I see it the same way.

I will stick with Nvidia until AMD releases a card that, uses less power than the Nvidia card, runs cooler and performs atleast 5%+ better.