1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft extends Xbox 360 warranty

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 6 Jul 2007.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Oops, fixed.

4. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Although I have not had 3 red lights, i have to say good on Microsoft for this. Ok there may been issues with the console but it is nice for a company to turn round and say "since there have been some issues we are extending the warranty"

This I think is a good move, while Microsoft have not directly admitted there is a fault in the design or implementation of the cooling system, it would be interesting to know if Sony would have done the same had the roles been reversed??

Kimbie

5. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

I feel sorry for the ones that voided this new extended warranty by openening up their 360 to repaire it after the origonal warranty ran out. But apart from that this is good news. I can now play my 360 with out looking at it and saying "when's it your turn". I can relax a bit.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

This is good news, my warranty runs out in a couple of months and after that I would have been living in fear.

7. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

Like myself you mean?

Having rang Microsoft 3 times to try and get a free repair stating fit for purpose and other terms I was denied a free repair even though I was only 1 week out of warranty.

Rather than pay over the odds for something that should have been free, I opted for a local, much cheaper repair which was done sameday.

8. Particle Man

Particle Man What's a Dremel?

This might be a little late but at least they're making some kind of effort. Although it doesn't really do me much good.

I decided that instead of waiting for my 360 to over heat and die I'd change out the fans :dremel:. I put some talismoon replacment fans in it, they have about 50% more airflow than the stock 360 fans. I voided the **** out of my warrenty but I haven't had any problems. :rock:

9. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

My warranty ran out in Jan, and a few weeks back I got the dreaded RoD. It's currently away for repair, so I'll be calling MS up and asking for my £70 back :)

10. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

$1 Billion, ouch. That along with all the repair cost previously, I dont think they are making much or any profit per console.

Touch Wood mines been ok apart from it crashing or locking up when playing Rainbow Six vegas, Overlord or any Demo I have downloaded and Saints row locks up.

5-6 months to go before my 1 year is up, but at least I have another 2 years if needed. My original xbox started to play up on reading DVD's but I have not to date had any console completly die on me and I hope my 360 is not going to start a new trend.

11. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

am i reading this right? as im still a little drunk, if you get 3 red lights you get 3 years warentee? my xbox will die in 3 years guaranteed, have been using it lightly as its 14 months old and i didnt want to push my luck!

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Yeah and if you get four, then my friend you win a flaming 360 as its on fire :)

13. KMS-oul

I would contact them and tell them your situation. They may reimburse you with some games or something. It really isn't fair. This warranty is MS basically admitting there is a big problem with the reliabilty of their hardware and you're a victim of it.

14. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Anyone noticed that the only company actually making some money off there consoles is Nintendo? so effectively they are winning the console "wars".

15. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Consoles are like razors. The games are like the blades, and that's where all the money gets made.

16. KMS-oul

Hehe yeah. Every one said the GC was a failure but at least the profited from it.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

MS is also making money off console sales.

this is a nice move for MS, i hope they try to make a more efficient cooling system, more like the one on the PS3.

18. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Should also prevent some people from pirating games once the 1 year was up.

19. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I see this move as more of a way for them to avoid having to go back in the console themselves and do it right. By extending the warranty for 3 yrs on this particular and most prominent problem with the 360 they now have a reason to not actually address the issue on future manufactured 360's since 70% of it's live span is already warrantied.

It's probably cheaper in the long run to fix broken 360's than remanufacture with a proper cooling system.

20. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

This sounds like good news for the mass's!!!

I bought my 360 from Game, on the 26th Feb 2007, the laser stopped reading games properly and I returned it to the store for a replacement on the 26th May 2007 (only 3 months and the laser went).... Then on the 4th of july I got 3 red ring, the console was a brand new replacement on the 26th May (so it was only 5 weeks old and got ring of death). I got a replacement no problems from game again on the 5th of july, so I have to admit here that GAME, have been absolutely brilliant (they do not issue a new recipt though, they will still only do this for the 12months of original recipt).

So bear this in mind when u consider where to buy one.

I have to admit I have lost heart with microsoft's little baby, I love the console to bits, but reliabilty is a real issue here, I consider myself to be a casual gamer, my console is not usually on for many hours in a go.

I also notice that www.cex.co.uk are buying modded 360's in which have been fitted with the talismoon light and fan kit for an extra few quid more, which suggests it's encouraging you to do it.

Tags: Add Tags