1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Where to go around the UK for landscapes?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by zschow, 4 Nov 2012.

1. zschow

zschow Wish I had a Dremel!

Hi guys, I got about a year in the UK to do my Masters.

I think I've seen some fantastic landscapes around on this forum but I cannot remember how far back that was (08 or something?)

So, where should I be going for beautiful vistas, lonely moors, cliffs and that sort of thing?

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Wales, lake district ? Yorkshire dales.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

any of the national parks should give you a brilliant scenery.

having a car is desirable though.

although landscape photography isn't purely about travelling to places and finding other people's tripod marks. where will you be studying? anywhere can create a great landscape photo. look for the lines and shapes created by the terrain/buildings/body of water.

4. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Passed through Aviemore yesterday on my way back home from Inverness yesterday, some of the views around there are astounding.

If you do come to Scotland, be prepared for crap weather, especially this time of year.

5. zschow

modd1uk : Thanks! Where in wales though? I could check out the dales.
    wuyanxu : out in the University of Warwick, so I could wander around the midlands quite easily. I'm curious to see more of GB as it is :D (also, Homeworld 3 is still on top of my wants list)
    digitaldunc : Would late spring be a better idea to go to Scotland? My gf's brother is in Glasgow, he reports poor weather quite often.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Wales = The Brecon beacons National park.

Dorset = Corfe Castle, Isle of purbeck, Kimmeridge

YEHBABY likes this.
  7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

close to Coventry then:
    Peak district national park. I went there a few months ago with a few other photographers, and did this walk. here is the resulting photo thread.

for Dorset, you forgot Durdle Door.

Exmoor nation park is also great. look in my flickr stream (see sig), there's a few I took 2 weeks ago.

Snowdonia in North Wales is also good, there's a Mach loop which combines scenery with fight jets. it's on my to-do list when the weather gets warmer.

as mentioned, the highlands in Scotland is fantastic, rent a car and spend at least a week up there, it's so big and beautiful. another one on my to-do list, only spent 1 day got up to Loch Ness on my last visit. next time I plan to rent a cabin up there.

or your local park or any open ground near the university. perhaps city scape of your university buildings? Winter isn't really the right season for going anywhere......

8. zschow

Thanks guys, I got something to plan for now :D Probably lay low for winter I suppose, then go off in spring/summer.

Thanks again!

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Try Rhossili, its one of the top 5 beaches in the uk :thumb: Its by Swansea so easily day-trippable from you but you could probably get an overnight in a travelodge/premier inn/etc somewhere towards Tenby and take in the Pembrokeshire National Park too.

Some great scenery down there.

10. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

If you can find the time and money, do a tour of the Scottish Highlands. A bit of a predictable response but I'm sure you can do a quick search and find some great places to take photos up north.

I'm a bit biased since I'm from up that way but some of the scenery is just incredible.

My favorite place has to be the viewpoint on Struie Hill, you can see it on Google Maps here.

I'm sure there are plenty of amazing landscapes in less remote areas but I do enjoy passing that viewpoint when I'm visiting home, one of the best bits of scenery I've ever seen.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2012
  11. m3rk

m3rk What's a Dremel?

how about the south west area of the uk? - Not knowing where you are but there is some stunning views around cornwall...