1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve's Newell hints at Steam Box announcement

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Sep 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Valve will do what Valve does best...go their own way and the faithful will follow them.

Half Life 3 Linux exclusive....that would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Gabe doesn't have to answer to shareholders, if he wants to limit initial sales of his prime asset, with a long term goal in mind, he'll do it.

Everyone outside of Valve thought Steam would only be of use for Valve products...look at it now.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Glad to hear it. Let's just hope it's not priced the same as the last Steambox contender...

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I wish they would speed up the steam interface, It feels like i'm using IE6 or something !

Also the wait for the next Half Life game is now beyond ridiculous.

If they can sort those two things out (not necessarily in that order) then steam really will be the ultimate platform for me !

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Give us a call, Gabe, we'll build something sexy for you.

And a Steambox too :naughty:

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

They'll hold that as a killer app for Steambox. See also - L4D3.

I see no reason why Steambox can't be the next best thing. The consoles are a bit meh.

7. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I think as long as they differentiate themselves from Microsoft & Sony in some way a steambox could be a huge success. And if they are waiting for the next Half Life to go straight to steambox then they could at least give steam users episode 3 in the meantime.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think they plan to differentiate themselves from consoles with the amount of openness of the platform, i.e no expensive certification process, user created content.

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

That would certainly help. I'd also like to see some regular PC functionality such as word processing, printing, photoshop type programs, upgradeable hdd's (non-proprietary), etc etc.

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Cat? Pigeon?

Flying pig you mean!

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I know it won't happen, was just a suggestion as to how they could transform the Linux landscape if they really wanted to.

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

They could do something as simple as release HL3 for Linux users say 24h before the rest, that'd be more than enough to see a spike in the hardware survey.

13. FullThrottleRic

FullThrottleRic What's a Dremel?

If Valve can give us a box with support for our entire (given enough time) Steam library, Blu-ray playback, Netflix/Spotify and run a Plex client that would be my ultimate single box solution!

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not sure about the entire Steam library, wouldn't that be more down to the developer than Steam ? But saying that if the concept of the SteamBox gains a large enough market share developers will be more inclined to make Linux versions.

Blu-ray playback cant see why not, my thinking is the SteamBox is more of a concept than a set in stone design. Take a NUC case, add the minimum hardware that would probably be laid down by Valve, download the Steam Linux Distro and install. (same way M$ get OEM's to make Windows PC's)

Netflix/Spotify and run a Plex client, if it runs on Linux then your good to go.

The impression i got from listen to the Video in the article is Gabe hates proprietary systems, licensing, restrictions, and the emerging trend for company's wanting to control access. (7min into the clip)

EDIT: everything is in place for a Steam Linux Distro, driver checking, software section on steam, big picture, end users making and publishing content, etc,etc. All they need now is the actual Steam Distro and OEM's making/selling devices capable of running it.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2013
  15. FullThrottleRic

FullThrottleRic What's a Dremel?

That's what I was getting at, it's not something that's going to happen at launch/overnight - but it'd be awesome if it did eventually :)

I can do everything listed on my current HTPC, but through fragmented interfaces. If Valve can tie it all together through one consistent interface and make it easy for developers to integrate with that interface that would be awesome :clap:

16. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

just a possibility:
    MS and Valve grow more apart
    Valve releases linux exclusive AAA blockbuster - HL3/portal3 combo game
    MS bleeds market share
    MS releases linux emulator for windows
    windows users get laughed at cause their fps just tanked.
    if only.......

17. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see old titles ported, but I think it's unlikely, except for Valve's own catalogue. It's not hugely difficult to port the games but there's unlikely to be much of a market if the games don't even sell on Windows any more. No doubt there will be lots of guides on how to get older games running via Wine.

There were rumours the Steambox would run an APU. Hopefully that isn't true, as it won't compete with next generation consoles.

It'd certainly make sense for Valve to release all its future games exclusively on the Steambox initially.

18. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

The PS4 and XBox One both also running APUs you mean? Sure if you stick in a standard A4 it would fail, but with an advanced and/or custom APU it could be a powerful system.

19. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

They're not running the same kind of APUs. The current top range A10 cannot outperform a 6670, for example.

20. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

That "fake steambox" PC that was just a miniturized PC running Windows with Steam preinstalled, had really nothing to do with Valve and it became clear afterwards they were just trying to get publicity as being "the steambox" when that was untrue.

Valve has always said Steambox will run Linux and not Windows and so far that hasn't happened.