1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung Galaxy S5 announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Feb 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

So no 4K screen? That's a let down.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

smallest 4k display I`ve heard of is 9.6" - unless you know of a smaller one?

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Hate that sticky-outy camera still.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Is it? I mean, true enough I've never owned one, but do we really actually care about having a 4k on our phones? 2560x1440 seems pretty impressive to me, and when we get to the point where we have a 5" screen with higher resolution than (most of our) 22-26" monitors, do we really need more, when it's going to chomp through our already terrible battery life?

I'd happily take a phone with a 2560 screen I can actually use for 12 hours over a 4k screen'd phone I can only use for 8.

6. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Never said it was needed, I was being kinda ironic. All the speculation I read on the run up was pointing to a 4K screen, or a 2560*1440. I have a Note3 which has an amazing 1080p screen which still blows my mind at how good a portable device can look. I really don't see a need to go past this. Good to see samsung not getting carried away, unlike the pre-launch rumors.

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I'll just leave this here:

[​IMG]

Sam

8. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

And this phone has neither, :D

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Happy with the S4 for now

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The S3 can certainly manage 12 hours of screen on constant use (I've done it several times). So long as the battery is incrementally improved each gen I see no reason that can't be maintained while still increasing CPU capability and screen resolution. There are, of course, limits.

Happy with the S3 for now, but with S5's coming out I might be able to get a cheap wee upgrade to the S4, which's nice.

11. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

I've been keeping an eye on this and the Sony Xperia Z2 for a while now. I find it interesting Samsung went the route of IP67 whereas Sony decided on IP58.

Taken from wiki, this indicates:

6 = No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight)
    7 = Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).

5 = Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact (dust proof)
    8 = The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. Normally, this will mean that the equipment is hermetically sealed. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects.

I'm somewhat curious that Sony didn't (or was unable to?) make their phone dust proof given it has greater water resistance.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

With regards to screen resolution, I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone on here that anything over 300ppi is utterly, indisputably pointless. Even if you have the most incredible close vision, your retinas are biologically incapable of differentiating between a 720p and 1080p resolution on a 5" display.

Posted from my HTC One with about 200 more pixels per inch than i could ever possibly see :rolleyes:

Last edited: 24 Feb 2014
  13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Looks like a note3 that's gone smaller... Less ram though? Sigh

14. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

This. Really excited for The New HTC One / M8. The dual cameras for aftershot refocusing looks like a brilliant feature - as long as it's true. No-one seems to be tackling HTC speaker wise either which is surprising.

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Nope. Even ignoring measures of acuity other than line-differentiation (e.g. Hyperacuity), the AMOLED panels Sansung use only show their rated DPI in the green channel. Red and Blue are each at half that, due to Pentile's RGBG layout (and Pentile defining two subpixels per pixel rather than three).

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I will admit I am not as up on smartphones as I used to be, but my impression was that at the current resolutions and PPI, pentile was indistinguishable from non-pentile. Everything you said is correct, of course, but does not matter anymore.

17. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

S4 active.......

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

What you've all missed is that no QHD screen = probably no QHD screen for Oculus Rift.

That's the actual news.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have got a S4 at the moment and to be honest my next phone will not be a Samsung, I want something now that actually feels sturdy in my hands or pockets and not like I am going to snap it.

I will be keeping and eye on HTC for my next phone.

20. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

Would really be good if they changed the design I find the HTC One's design more interesting, im not really interested at 4k for a phone, what would that really benefit? Pixels would only matter on larger devices in my opinion

Tags: Add Tags