1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Raspberry Pi gets 'Turbo Mode' support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Sep 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

SO 1080p with doulby surround should play fluid now?

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I just got the USB cord for my Pi last night. It's pretty good but browsing the internet can be a bit slow with the CPU is loaded at 100% all the time just because you have two tabs open :(. I wasn't expecting a lot for $35 but it's still pretty sweet.

Hopefully this should help

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's due to the lack of accelerated X driver: all 2D graphics operations - including scrolling in a browser - go through the weedy CPU and not the beefy GPU. The result: a painful operating experience.

Turbo Mode will help by giving the system an overall speed tweak, but it won't be pleasant to use until (unless) an accelerated driver is provided.

5. The_Beast

I'm not complaining, I wasn't expecting much to begin with and web browsing isn't it's main purpose. It's just kinda slow setting it, but it's more because I'm not Linux savvy....yet :D

6. Gareth Halfacree

If only somebody had written a book designed to help people new to Linux and embedded computing get the most out of the Raspberry Pi... ;)
    |
    |
    V

7. The_Beast

I've done sum stuff in Ubuntu setting it up to be mom-proof, hopefully this pi will help me learn even more :D

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

Shameless plug is shameless. Only you "forgot" to provide a link Mr. Halfacree.

Hopefully the bugfix will allow 24/96 output to a USB DAC without artifacts/stuttering...

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I still want fullHD blu ray playback at 40mbps without stuttering. Please.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My warranty was already gone when I tried overvolting about a month ago :D. I still can't achieve much over 850MHz though... My power supply is a lot better than the last one I tried, but I still can't rule out the possibility that it might be struggling under load. The test points now read ~4.8v/4.9v, as opposed to ~4.6v with my last power supply, but that was measured at idle; I'll have to test it under load, I guess. I'll give this new firmware a shot first though. 1GHz is the goal, but if I can get to 900MHz stable then I'll be happy!

Not quite; read the comment thread in the forums ;)

The only issues I've had with 1080p h.264 playback have been due to insufficient network bandwidth; in the case of seriously high bitrate stuff, I've had a regular PC fail to play video smoothly when using a 100mbit network adapter. I've not tried really high bitrate stuff on the Pi from a USB source however; most of my HD movies are compressed down to ~15GB, and they play just fine over the network.

The Pi can only use the CPU to decode audio, so anything at 5.1 or over will likely make the Pi struggle, even with an overclock. The solution is audio passthrough.

And bear in mind that it was never designed to be a $35 HTPC; the fact that the GPU can handle 1080p video is purely a bonus.

11. The_Beast

Get this PSU, not a phone charger
    http://www.adafruit.com/products/501

5.25V 1A is nice if you want a stable RPi or want to OC. I can do 1000Mhz easy but I haven't pushed it any further

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'll have to check out their international shipping first! :)

13. Gareth Halfacree

Not if you've got signatures switched on, I didn't...

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

With the keys available for MPEG2 playback and this update, it's nice to see the RPi moving on. All we need next is for audio decoding to be "discovered", and the tiny HTPC world is conquered!

15. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I have a surround receiver for the audio decoding so that shouldn't be a problem. Though all of my BR rips are uncompressed 40gb *******s.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Then that's likely the problem. I'm not sure if that'd play smoothly from USB2, to be honest; not sure if the Pi's implementation is fast enough. It's worth bearing in mind that the Ethernet on the USB bus; I don't think there are any other interface buses on the main core...

My ripped copy of Avatar was exactly the same: just a 40gb file dumped from the disc. I can only play that over a gigabit network, even on a "proper" PC; not even 5GHz 802.11n WiFi can cut it...

There'll be a new release of RaspBMC soon (RC5.0) which will incorporate the new "Turbo" mode. Will be interesting to see how much difference it makes. That's the one thing that bugs me about using the Pi as a media centre: the interface is quite laggy, and you can forget about any other skins bar the default one... XBian seemed faster, but I've since learned (amidst all the GPL kerfuffle) that this is because XBian uses a faster overclock than RaspBMC.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

What does the overclock do to the Pi's power requirements? Should we be making sure it is getting a guaranteed 1 Amp?

18. Lantizia

Lantizia What's a Dremel?

I remember when "Turbo Mode" was a button for swapping from 33mhz to 66mhz.

WHOAH TOO FAST!

:)