1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Announces G-Series Embedded APUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 19 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

It's all just marketing speal at the moment. Let's see it working first and then we can decide to go APU, Dual Atom or ARM for these low powered systems.

Why is it that AMD spend 18 months raving about it and then the launch when it eventually arrives is a firework fart?

JUST GIVE US THE DAMN PRODUCTS OR STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Well I think it's a safe bet that these APU's will be better than most Atom setups, with only Tegra based systems putting up compeition. As for ARM, well, that's a different game. I know what you mean though, Snips, there's been a fair bit of hype about mobile tech for the last few months but nothing's actually been released.

I'm waiting with baited breath for the package which will finally bring together reasonable performance in a small package with an open OS (read not Apple) at a reasonable price. Not to bothered about battery life but that could be a bonus. I probably shouldn't hold my breath, I think.

4. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Do you just enjoy trolling any AMD related news items?

APU's are already here and the Atom is history http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-e350m1-amd-brazos-zacate-apu,2840.html

"Where Brazos cannot be beaten is price. ASRock anticipates selling its E350M1 for $110, and we hear that competing boards will go for $100. Buy a case, power supply, 4 GB memory module, and a mobile hard drive if you’re on a budget. Factor in a Blu-ray drive if you want it in the living room. That’s a platform I’d like to have as an HTPC or commons-area kiosk in the house."

"What we do have are the benefits of integration and a new processor architecture from AMD. The company clearly looks to be going after Intel’s Atom processor. It’s an easy target, given its “good-enoughâ€￾ approach to computing. And indeed, the Brazos platform decimates Atom in single-threaded apps, still manages to beat it decisively in more parallelized programs, and embarrasses it in anything having to do with graphics."

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i'm confused.... why is amd bringing back geode? they own ati now, they don't need to use the geode name. however, i think it'd make sense if amd used the name "geode" for graphics in apu processors, and "radeon" for discrete graphics

7. Snips

Read the last line again frontline! Do we see a review on this site?

8. frontline

Where did you mention what site it is on - and who cares? There is a finished product that has been reviewed. You've clearly made up your mind before seeing ANY reviews, whether on this site or another.

Check out other manufacturers websites and they already have Fusion based products specced:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0001&pid=1034

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=9BmKhMwWCwqyl1lz&templete=2

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=JhJ03CRwku0lzT6B&templete=2

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3681#ov

This doesn't include netbooks and laptops that are also on their way. Whatever AMD's outlook is at the higher end of the market and the server market, Ontario and Zacate has clearly finished Atom as the preferred option for HTPC and netbook computing.

9. Snips

" Ontario and Zacate has clearly finished Atom as the preferred option for HTPC and netbook computing."

Has Intel stopped making Atoms? Wow, I missed that one. Can I walk into a shop now and buy said products you've listed?

Again, read the last line.

10. frontline

Did you even bother reading the review? It is a finished product, not 'marketing spiel'

And where is your evidence to support this view? Or is it your own 'marketing spiel'?

You need to take your blinkers off every so often snips. Variety is the spice of life.

11. Snips

"And where is your evidence to support this view? Or is it your own 'marketing spiel'?"

Go to the white search box on top right hand side on this website and type in "AMD" then click on advanced options and put the dot in "Date order". Then read topics from the last 1 - 36 months. Enjoy!

Nuff said!

12. frontline

So, you've gone from saying that because bit-tech haven't reviewed a product yet that it must be fail to searching for news stories about AMD from the past. Should we also judge Intel based on their antitrust case or Nvidia for their failing overheating laptop GPU's of the recent past?

Just enjoy your narrow-minded outlook on life, you aren't interested in this type of product anyway, so i don't even know why you bother posting so much bs about it.

13. Snips

BS? Me? Sir, how could you!

My concern as always is when we finally get to buy the said product, it isn't what AMD were saying it was going to be. Have I said anything different?

Did the Intel anti trust case or Nvidia's failing overheating laptop have anything to do with what I said?

14. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Slightly dissapointed to see that neither Gigbyte or Sapphire have a fanless solution yet (but then these are only the first tranche).

This could hurt a lot of Intel sales into the HTPC market.

Tags: Add Tags