1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Duste's "The Prodigy"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Duste, 1 Jul 2012.

1. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Hi everyone, my name's Hayden. Haven't been an active member of Bit-Tech for years now - my interest sort of died off while I was at Uni. Now I'm done with that, back I come. :p

Anyway, I finally got around to taking a few snaps and making some progress on my current build, so I figured I would start up a worklog. This is my first worklog (ever! :jawdrop:), so please feel free to offer any advice.

The plan is to build another MiniITX monster, much like my current Silverstone SG08 (but better! ;)), but this time using the new BitFenix Prodigy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having the usual front IO buttons and ports on the side of the case will make for a slight hassle when I want to remove the side panel once the build is finished, but I quite like the fact it keeps the front of the case very clean:

[​IMG]

BitFenix were also nice enough to provide a black PCB for the front IO:

[​IMG]

Now on to the goodies!

[​IMG]

I also ordered one of each 45deg and 90deg fitting adapters from Bitspower and Koolance to decide which design I liked best and, more importantly whether the matte black of the Koolance adapters would match that of the Bitspower barb fittings (because secretly I had already decided upon the Koolance adapters :lol:):

[​IMG]

The Koolance adapters are much more "low-profile" and between the 45deg and 90deg, they are the most similar; the Bitspower 45deg and 90deg adapters were vastly different in design to one another.

To connect everything in the two loops will be about a kilometre of white 1/2"ID-3/4"OD tubing:

[​IMG]

I also had a delivery from Deutschland:
    [​IMG]

And, of course, here are the contents of the package:

[​IMG]

As you've probably guessed, the build is going to be a black/white theme. The general list of gear is as follows:

- BitFenix Prodigy (black)
    - 120mm CPU loop (BlackIce GTX w/ BitsFenix Spectre Pro fan, Laing DDC pump w/ EK DDC X-RES 100 Top, EK Supreme HF Acetal+Nickel block)
    - 140mm GPU loop (BlackIce GTX w/ BitsFenix Spectre Pro fan, Laing DDC pump w/ EK DDC X-RES 100 Top, EK FC-580GTX+ Acetal+Nickel block)
    - White tubing, white sleeving
    - ASRock Z77E-ITX (will be ordering later today)

I'm still undecided on CPU and RAM - I'm thinking either a 3570K or a 3770K, and the G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz/16GB (2x8GB) is looking promising (though I would need to paint the heat sinks). I will also be reusing my Gigabyte 580GTX, which does annoy me slightly because it's a blue PCB, but I'll upgrade eventually to something more suitable for this build.

Everything will also be re-wired using white wire to give the best effect from the white sleeving.

Here's my mockup (excuse the messy finger prints on the radiators):

[​IMG]

The 140mm radiator at the front (mounted horizontally, ie. inlet/outlets on the side) is as big as you can go without drastically reducing your usable space for a graphics card:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photo looks a bit deceiving, but there is at least 5mm space between the PCB and the 140mm fan. Once you reach the radiator, however, you're going to strike issues. Keep in mind this is a Gigabyte GTX 580 3GB at 280mm long - you would probably max out with a 300mm card.

I did consider mounting the radiator vertically (ie. inlet/outlets at the bottom) to possibly allow longer graphics cards, but then I was really pushing it; the radiator hit the optical drive bay (as seen below), and I was only just be able to get the mounting screws in. I opted for the horizontal fitment (shown above) because it provides optimal tubing routes for my purposes and doesn't impede on me using two res/pump combos (else inlet/outlets would also be smack-bang where they are...).

[​IMG]

The 120mm radiator at the top is also as big as you can go whilst retaining the optical drive bay and, even if you did decide to redrill the top of the case for a 140mm radiator, you would then impede on the case's rear exhaust fan's personal space, and no one likes that:

[​IMG]

But, as you probably noticed, it is a VERY snug fit for that 120mm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So a few minor modifications will need to be done to the optical drive bay, which you'll understand the reasons for when my next order arrives on my doorstep:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only other issue that a few of us Prodigy builders have noticed is that the power supply bay really doesn't offer the ability to house a modular power supply. At the moment the power supplies I've been forced to use in my Silverstone SG08 have fit, because they are non-modular 140mm-long units, but non-modular won't do for this build. The current consensus is that you can remove the rear of the power supply bay - this has been done by a couple others, and I'll more than likely follow suit:

[​IMG]

2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

for 580 - one can make GFX shroud from mesh/alu/steel/plastic of any color to hide 'incorrect' PCB color. since it will be LCed - no problem of overheating.
    would be 1*140 rad sufficient for GFX? any OC planned?

3. Duste

The graphics card won't be overclocked, no. The CPU will be though. :)

Thanks for the advice with the shroud, I'll look in to it!

4. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I thought about buying this case too. I am looking forward to see what you do with it.

5. xbournex

xbournex BitFenix PR/Forum Manager

160mm non modular PSU's do fit... Nice use of radiators :)
    Anyone try 200mm radiators?

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice. First dual loop prodigy mod ever? :D

7. Mizugetsu

Mizugetsu What's a Dremel?

Lucky Aussie getting the Prodigy before everyone else good luck to you sir i will be watching this

8. Duste

I've currently got a Thermaltake TR2-800 (800W, 140mm, non-modular) which would fit fine, but it's far too many cables for my liking and unfortunately all non-modulars would be the same. I was going to simply desolder wires directly off the PCB as it is in my current Silverstone SG08, but I think the most appropriate way of action for this build is to get a modular PSU. As it stands, my 24-pin ATX cable is only going to need to be 10-15cm...

In terms of the radiator...if you went with 200mm, you would be limited to very short graphics cards; 140mm is the biggest you can do without really limiting yourself.

I was able to get one from the first batch in Australia, too - very lucky!

Another Aussie has run in to issues mounting his motherboard to the case as his CPU backplate doesn't clear. In fact, he's had to cut a hole in the TOP of the power supply bay (as well as the rear for a longer PSU) just to fit it in. Not good so far... My Z77E-ITX should arrive later this week so I'll test fit my EK LGA115X True backplate and see if I encounter similar issues.

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

9. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Oh noes, it seems I just can't stay out of trouble :duh:

Quick question Hayden - you're USB3 ports also loose and shaky, or mounted proper?

10. Duste

Hmm, I wouldn't say mine are overly loose or shaky, no. There's certainly more movement in them than those in my Silverstone SG08, but they are mounted completely differently - that is, the SG08 has them mounted parallel to the front IO PCB, whereas the Prodigy has them mounted perpendicular to the front IO PCB, and quite a distance from the front of the case.

One thing that could improve them, though, is simply a little bit of sikaflex (silicone goo?) at the interface between the port and the PCB on the "hidden" side of the PCB (the side closest to the side panel).

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Looks awesome! Have you decided on if your going to have the rear fan as an intake or exhaust?

I have a Air-Pen in the same position on my Arc Midi and have it as an intake as it allows the top fan to suck in lovely cool air, and creates a positive pressure environment to keep the dust out. This should work well with the Prodigy as it has a load of vent holes.

Also, where you located in Perth? I used to live in on Eddystone Avenue, just off Whitfords, in Craigie!

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I really like the design of the case and I'm quite tempted by one, so I'll be watching this :thumb:

13. whyte

whyte What's a Dremel?

Love the case.. cant wait to see what you do with it.

14. Duste

Thanks Parge! After comments from another forum, I'll be flipping the rear fan and having it as an intake to do exactly what you've described. :)

Ah yes I have friends and in-laws up in the area! I'm much further south in Hammond Park (City of Cockburn), though. How long ago did you move to London?

Thanks Mankz and whyte! I've just ordered ~130 odd metres of white cable so that'll keep me occupied for a while re-wiring everything haha. :)

15. Duste

Small cases were not meant for watercooling... :lol:

Regardless, CPU loop is done, at least for now - I'm sort of limited with height on my DIMM slots, so I'm going to have to reconsider my choice of RAM (as I was originally thinking of G.Skill Trident X's but they have a huge top heatsink, albeit removable) or modify the loop.

[​IMG]

GPU loop will be left until last, as I don't want to leave my primary system without a graphics card. :)

Next up:
    - Mount the pumps properly (currently only secured with double-sided tape), though I'm not sure whether I'll take the entire case apart or just squeeze a drill in there.
    - Ordering a PSU (currently looking at the Corsair AX750) and, in turn, re-wiring and sleeving the cables.
    - Decide upon and order CPU, RAM and SSDs.

One option for RAM is the Samsung Green 30nm, however they only come in 2x4GB variants and I would highly prefer 2x8GB DIMMs. Another is to slap in a pair of Corsair Dominators and get them amongst the CPU loop with an EK Dominator X2 block to make everything just that little bit more complicated.

Oh yes, and I still haven't flipped the rear fan yet either. :eek:

16. Mizugetsu

Mizugetsu What's a Dremel?

have you thought about using the Magicool Slim radiators since and maybe slim Yate loon fans since that would solve some of your space issues

17. geebles

geebles Own's a Dremel

One of the best looking cases in a while, and only £60!? I've got an m-ITX lined up ready to go in one when it becomes available to buy :) I like your log!