1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment 1000euro to spend on photogear

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Lovah, 3 Dec 2012.

1. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi guys,

A few months ago I was nominated for an award at my job. Even though I didn't win the award, the company I work for still received 1.000 euro for my nomination. My boss sed I could spend the reward (taxfree) on anything remotely photography related (also if only for personal use, but it stays company property). I use my personal photo-gear to take pictures at work when needed (for our newsletter, for events, or just at our partys), so this is kind of a compensation for my efforts.

The first thing I thought of was a new lens, but the lens I really want to add to my setup is too expensive (85L). When going through other lens options I thought about getting one of these:
    - 100mm F2.8 L Macro
    - 70-200 F2.8 L (non-IS)

I rarely use my 135mm, don't really need anything longer. So I don't think I would use a 70-200 F2.8 L that often, even though they are so popular (maybe I should just give it a go?). Since I haven't got a macro lens yet, I think the 100L would be a welcome addition to my setup, but I fear I wouldn't use it that much either.

Lenses are a good investment though, they don't loose that much value over time. So those are investments I'd rather make with my own dough. A camera would be perfect as those have a limited lifetime and loose a lot of value quickly.. but a 5D mkII or mkIII unfortunely does not fit in the budget. So I think it makes more sense to invest in some gadgets that have a shorter lifespan. At the moment I'm considering all of this instead:
    - Wacom Intous5 Medium Touch + Wireless kit
    - GoPro HD Hero3 Black edition + memory cards + different mounts
    - Canon TC-80N3 timer (already bought this)
    - Sandisk 64GB USB memory stick (needed one)

Always wanted a tablet for photoshop and the GoPro would be fantastic for skiing and other sports.

What do you guys think?
    What would you get? And what would you get, considering my current gear-setup?

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

If you really want to add the 85mm f/1.2L you should consider the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 at a fraction of the cost but by no means a fraction of the quality. That would also leave you with some money for a tablet.

I used to have an A4 Intuos 3 and it was absolutely amazing; I picked it up on ebay for less than £250 and they are a lot cheaper now. Preowned tablets are a good purchase and you will save A LOT of money. ;)

3. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

I would also recommend the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 or 50mm. As for the 70-200mm f/2.8, I would not get the non-IS version. The IS makes a huge difference. 70-200mm f/2.8 ii IS lens is one of the best lenses you can ever own. I'm not sure if you have options to rent in the UK, but we have a few providers in the US that will rent you lenses. I just rented the 70-200mm f/2.8 ii IS for 4 days for $100 from LensProToGo. Now I know I need to buy it :)

Lighting might also be something worth considering. Maybe a good flash or portable monolight kit?

4. Cozmo87

Cozmo87 "huh hurmm!!!"

shame i didt see htis yester day i just got my self an Intuos 4 med for £160 new bargin , i let you know if i see another. i now selling my bamboo.

5. Cozmo87

Cozmo87 "huh hurmm!!!"

i just use my 24-70 f2.8 all the time and 70 - 200 2.8, there ace but what do you relay shoot most of? macro is a good way to go for a lot of shallow depth of field work. and yes look at sigma, very good lenses. plenty off reviews out there. also always always always always GLASS BEFORE BODY, unless your rich! get both.

after writing all this i don't think i helped. i wish i cold read you post when i writing this. :thumb:

6. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi Guys,

I already spent every dime on
    - gopro 3 hd black edition
    - a few mounts
    - 16+32gb memory cards

- 64gb memory stick
    - intuos 5 medium touch + wireless kit

cheers