1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Migrate from one SSD to Another?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkwisdom, 23 Dec 2014.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've recently won a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB. I have an 830 128GB. I would like migrate to the new drive, OS and all. I also have a secondary drive with all of my documents, steam install etc.

Can someone tell me the best way to do this?

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

3. Darkwisdom

Is it literally a clone from one to the other?

Will I see much benefit in speed?

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Clone SSD to SSD should be fine and not cause any issues with speed... just as long as you make sure whatever you use to clone aligns to MiB.
    The 850pro should be at least 30% faster on writes and 60% on 4K performance so it would be worthwhile to get the OS on there.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As I recall, when I moved to a larger SSD:

- I created a system image in Windows on an external drive using "System Image Backup" (at the bottom of the "File History" window).
    - Plugged in the new SSD
    - Booted to my installation/repair media
    - Restored the system image to the new SSD using "System Image Recovery"
    - Expanded the partition to fit the new drive

Not sure if it the best way, but seems to have worked for me and didn't require any additional software.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2014
  6. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would wait a few weeks install the windows 10 consumer preview on the new SSD and if you like it move everything over.

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I always use clonezilla, or is it gparted that I use? Can't remember. Just clone the thing. I'm sure fresh installs are probably the best thing to do, but I'm not in to computers to spend all my time reinstalling things I already had, or as usual, something that I don't remember not having till months later.

8. Darkwisdom

Same here, i've got so much crap that I don't want to spend that much time reinstalling everything, especially all of my games on the secondary HDD. I make backups of really really important stuff, though.

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Exactly. I classify only pictures, docs and videos as important. I have zfs pool for that on nas4free.

10. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I've used Macrium Reflect in the past. You can tell it what the new partition size should be and it will clone everything over, but to a nice, new, bigger hard drive. The software is extremely easy. There is no confusion about what you are doing, or fear that you might be screwing something up. It's my #1 choice for hard drive cloning.