1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 4GB overclocked to 1,547MHz

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 29 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Those 960's cost like 999 euro a piece and he has two of them and torturing them is very brave. 28.812 is just jaw dropping!

3. enciem

enciem Minimodder

It would be a reasonable cooling solution if you had a butler. Should have tested with the CPU under LN2 as well mind.

4. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

But what frame rates do you get in games? I.e. arma 2 etc.

5. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

DDR5 in GHz....

dunx

6. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Lol, if you had a butler... :)

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Wonder what drivers they used, as the newer drivers limit the overclock capabillity of the card and the beta ones don't.

Still a cracking score but I wonder what a single GTX 680 could be taken too :)

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Zero FPS at 5760 x 1,600, as the 690's launch driver doesn't work at that res in ARMA 2!

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

The room is already full of gaseous nitrogen! Okay, 78%-ish full. If you ran this setup for a very long time in a very small space, you might want to ensure adequate ventilation to ensure the oxygen content remained sufficient and wasn't displaced by nitrogen, but otherwise the byproduct of this is completely harmless.

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Define 'very small'!

Gaseous nitrogen in a non ventilated space is EXTREMELY dangerous. It is very slightly lighter than air and will therefore create pockets of gas at ceiling height in a heartbeat. While 'Air' contains a lot of nitrogen it also contains O2 and if this 20% (ish) of O2 is pushed out with nitrogen then...

Sleepy sleepy - not wakey wakey.

You can be knocked unconscious with zero warning symptoms. It's not unheard of for people in labs to be killed like this... and then someone goes to help... and they fall over... and someone else goes to help...

11. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yes, I appreciate all of that, which is why I said you'd want to ensure adequate ventilation to ensure your O2 content wasn't displaced by N2, resulting in asphyxia and possibly death.

Obviously locking yourself in a barely ventilated room with a container of boiling LN2 (particularly one whose boil rate was accelerated by being connected to a heat source like a heavily OCed PC...) for an extended period would be a bad idea, but simple precautions would eliminate the risk.

As for "define 'very small'", well I have no idea how much LN2 you need to cool a pair of highly OCed dual GPU graphics cards (and perhaps a CPU too), but the boil rate can't be too outrageous. Bear in mind that the boiling nitrogen is still very significantly below ambient temperature, so it will sink rather than rise, notwithstanding that its molar mass is lower (and so it is less dense at equivalent temperature and pressure than air) - this is why you get the characteristic waterfall of vapour flowing over the edge of a container of boiling nitrogen. It will then mix with the air, so you shouldn't get appreciable pockets at ceiling level. If anything, pockets will form at floor level, so you'd want to watch out for family pets if you had this installed in your house :)

I'd suggest an oscillating room fan to mix the air with the boiled N2 combined with an extractor to draw in fresh air would be perfectly sufficient.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

1.9ghz is the highest a 680 has been took

EVGA forums dude had them at that under ln2

13. ARKAEAN

ARKAEAN What's a Dremel?

I have read all over that no matter the cooling used, there are problems with the VPMs or some major issue on gtx-X90s so that it is essentially impossible to overclock dual-GPU cards much beyond the gtx-X80 base clock. If people are getting over 1.5gHz with LN2 I would think it would be possible to achieve a stable clock around 1250mHz with water cooling..

It is clear that two gtx-X80s are always better than a single gtx-X90, but with liquid cooling I'd hope two gtx-690s would certainly be better than four gtx-680s, especially if the dual-GPU cards had twice the VRAM of a single gtx-680.

I really need to figure this out. I was about ready to buy two EVGA Classified GTX-690 Hydro Copper cards as soon as they drop.

Tags: Add Tags