1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Remember - safety first!!

Discussion in 'General' started by grritsshawn, 17 Aug 2011.

1. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

Okay well i got a scratch build under way and i kinda moded my self...

I wear leather gloves with hard steel finger tips on them so i don't cut or drill my self using a drill press. But today i was rushing and took off my glove so i can text real fast then bam drilled a 9/32" bit right threw my thumb. Hurts like hell going to the doctors tomorrow cuz i got work today .

So lets here some stories bout when you werent being safe and got hurt

2. getDownShep

getDownShep What's a Dremel?

This is more like you f***ing idiot. Electronics class at school, looked at a hot soldering iron. Wondered how to tell if it was hot enough, I know, stick my thumb on it. Can't remember if it was the pain, smell or the loud sizzling noise that came first, but it sure as hell was follwed by a lot of colourful language

3. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

Aye been there, was doing abit of gasless mig welding today. Took my gloves off ( can't mind why) then proceeded to tack a spot only for a little bit of splatter to land on my nail, which i didn't notice till a few seconds later as it melted through my nail. Was fun

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Snap, but i was 12 and it was a car cigarette lighter.

5. getDownShep

How about arc welding, in the corner of a garage with no mask on. Next day couldn't open my eyes for the pain

6. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Chineapple Punks

was pushingmetal into a cutting machinne at an old workplace, turned my head to chat to a mate and ended up cutting through half my thumb........BAM......... lost feeling up one side of my thumbfor the rest of my life. never mind... lol

7. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

When soldering at school I once managed to drop the soldering iron onto my crotch area... Never moved so fast in my life

8. getDownShep

Try welding and forgetting to put your trousers over the outside of your boots and the sparks begin to fly or greatest one ever Rick Stein and the mandolin

9. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

You do not know how much i cringed just thinking about the sparks...

Worst i've ever done was catch my thumb on a hot soldering iron, that was pretty painful.

10. getDownShep

Ok, this thread has got me thinking, so here is my last of the nights, have you ever:

Stuck your fingers together with superglue to prove nail varnish remover will undo it?
    Stuck a knife into an electric toaster when switched on?
    Stuck a knife into a light socket when it is switched on?
    Stand in an enclosed bus shelter and let a banger off, the deafness does go away.
    Hit a wasp nest with a big stick, luckily it was empty.
    Wear trainers in a workshop and stand on a load of nails, pliers are handy.
    Eat a raw brussel sprout

And they say children nowadays have nothing to do

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Drilled into my hand with a #29 drill bit. LOTS of blood
    Drilled my thumb nail with a forstner bit
    Jabbed my wrist (hit the bone) with a piece of aluminum (got infected and had to take medication for a week)

12. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Think it was around when I was 12. Wondered how that mosquito zapper worked. Decided to stick a ruler into one to have a look. Happened to have a steel ruler lying around. Ended up half way across the room from the shock.

Apparently those things pack a punch.

13. Pieface

Pieface Modder

SafeD Begins With Me.

14. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I don't tend to injure myself with tools much, most stupid thing I've done that got me hurt was running on new tarmac when it had rained in shoes with no grip at the best of times.

Tried turning while running but my shoes were having none of it, feet slipped out so I ended up sliding on my front, backwards because I was turning, hands out, they slide out because I'm still moving, thus jamming my front two teeth into the ground.

Two broken front teeth and two sprained wrists. Fun night.

15. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I can only admit to having mucked around with superglue and having stuck a knife into a toaster without unplugging it to get a piece of bread.

Worst I had was a whilst working on some thin plastic I put a stanley knife through it and without realising straight into and out the otherside of my finger which was misplaced on the otherside. Nice scar! :duh: :rock:

16. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I've forgotten to flip down my mask while mig welding a few times, oh the eye pain.
    I've dropped a 25kg billet of steel on my finger which took the tip clean off.
    Other than that, I have the usual collection of scrapes, burns and cuts that come when fabricating stuff.

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Now that is hardcore :rock:

Brave man :thumb:

18. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

tip of the soldering iron came off, while using it, i picked it up with my bare hands, had a long bar mark across my hand. stupid moment!

19. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I had a friend who was trying to eat the crumbs out of the bottom of his toaster... While it was on! He got his lips melted onto the heating elements inside and had to go to hospital to have it removed!

20. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Using a soldering iron during the winter with a streming cold. This is a friend by the way and we all laughed like hell. Being 16 - 17 he had a little un-shaven hair on his top lip. Anyway, we went to wipe his nose on his hand while he was soldering and quickly followed it up with the soldering iron. Never seen someone reel in pain that much since. He had a burn mark there for at least 3 months.

Being in a room full of lads in a Design and Technology class didn't help things.