1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Phone upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 22 Sep 2014.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

well the day has arrived I can upgrade my phone :D

currently have a galaxy S3....

so , what you all think? HTC One M8 (or even an older One) ; Galaxy S5? iPhone 6 (had a 3 many many years ago) ; new kindle FIRE phone? or wait ?

or - even just keep it and get a cheaper sim contract?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

cheaper SIM contract.

I'm still happy with my iphone 4S. The way I see it, all those dual-core phones are fast enough. There's really no evolutionary new must-have features, everything is just slightly faster for a lot more money.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1 to the cheaper contract.
    Unless your phone can't do the things you want it to do I wouldn't bother upgrading it.

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

If you're set on a new phone, then S5 or Xperia Z2

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Cheaper contract and keep what you have, look to port to another network to try an get a better deal where you are, with this approach I have two phones that cost me 7 + 11 quid a month, each with plenty of data and minutes etc. I just buy phones out right now as I want/need, hanging on to these cheap deals.

6. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Nexus5 unless you like using your phone as a camera - if so then iPhone or Xperia.

I have an iPhone6 and an LG G2.. the G2 really is awfully good.

edit: I just sold the G2, actually, but I'm already wanting another..

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

OnePlus One.

Best phone I've used, including the HTC One, S5, Lumia 930 etc, Moto X, Xperia Z, Nexus 4/5, iPhone 5 etc.

If you can't find an invite then they are starting pre-orders next month.

8. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I'll never get a phone through a provider again, as you pay full retail on the phone and are essentially getting a loan with a shitty interest rate.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not always:

Example below based on an LG G3 and unlimited data:

Phone outright: £479.95
    Unlimted data pay as you go with 3: £15 a month
    Total cost over 24 month: £839.95

Upfront cost for phone on 24 month contract: £0
    24 month unlimited data contract from 3: £33 a month
    Total cost over 24 month: £792

10. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

New Sony Z3 out soon, might be worth waiting a few weeks

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

thank you all - 1/2 of me is ` but the phone works!` , other 1/2 of me is `oooh shiny toys`

still nowt from o2 regarding 4.4.2 on the S3 , which makes me think it wont be coming officially

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Nothing wrong with shiny lust.

Seeing as you don't 'need' a new phone, then you can consider this purchase entirely guilt free of normal logical considerations. Your only reason to upgrade is to please yourself so get the new device you want. (Yes I'm a grown up and I think like this).

You have a nice Android phone so another Android device will give you another android device (Obvious advice is obvious).

So what do you want? A better phone or a different phone? Do you fancy an OS swap? Do you spend a lot on apps? How tight are you with OS lock in?

I've forced myself into iOS lock-in by focusing on developing for the iOS platform. This means I'm a 5S user who has a 6 Plus arriving soon which I'll migrate to for a while at least. Big phablets are big and I'm only teeny tiny which means a 5.5 phone for me is like someone tall using an iPad for a phone but then I rarely use it as a hand held phone and tend to use ear buds for voice calls.

So get what you want. You know Android, iOS 8 is very nice and the app selection is unparalleled. Windows phone is cool but the app selection is not amazing. Fire OS... is Android without some of the benefits.

I'm quite looking forward to going from a 4" screen to a 5.5". Although I have (For work!) many iPads around I rarely use them as my phone is always with me. I can carry a phablet around just as easy as a smaller phone but it'll give me a better experience... and will be new and most importantly....

Shiny shiny !

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You need to shop about, I paid £360 for an LG G3 at Expansys, which works out cheaper and at any point I can sell on no ties my sim free phone and get the next big thing without a lock in, also at end of contract if you don't take a phone you can take a retention bonus on a sim free deal which gets you an even cheaper contract, as mentioned I have three contracts my most expensive is £15 the other two are £7 and £11, I have between 7 and 20 pounds a month of off the actual sim free rate. Quids in, I continually get calls with deals but nothing can match what I am on :)

Last edited: 23 Sep 2014
  14. rollo

rollo Modder

If you can afford a phone outright no contract will ever be able to out do it on value for money side. Problem is most dont have the £500+ spare that most newer phones cost at the moment.

If you want a Note 4 or Iphone 6plus 64gb your looking at £700 + which is alot of spare cash when most will have to add a 4g contract to both either way.

Or you can vist a phone company O2 or EE pay a tiny amount up front and get phone + contract for under £40. ( I Paid £69 up front for 64gb Iphone 6plus on o2 been with them for years though and only pay £35 a month with 20gb data a month on o2 refresh so no real contract lengh as your just paying the phone off monthly instead of upfront )

15. Shirty

I refer everyone back to my previous post which seems to have been ignored...

£269.99 for the 64GB edition - everyone who wants a flagship should be bending over backwards to get one of these things.

I really, really mean it. I was sceptical at first but quite why the hell you'd buy anything else is really beyond me. The only things that can touch it for specs literally cost twice as much.

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you're going android that does seem the sensible option.

17. Shirty

One thing I will point out is that if you're planning to use 4G, you will need to be on EE as the handset is only fully compatible with 4G on EE in the UK.

Not a problem for me, I'm on EE anyway and I rarely venture anywhere near 4G coverage, plus I only subscribe to their 1GB package - but worth bearing in mind.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

thank you shirty - sadly I don't have a spare £230 to buy a handset outright , it does look really quite good though , so its a contract for me

android wise am leaning towards the htc one (or even m8) ,but the LG G3 looks nice as well but what about the nokia 930? not considering an i6 - don't want a £50 a month contract :(

19. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I went from an S3 to an S5 and it was a massive upgrade.

Bigger brighter screen - the s3 always looked dull
    Much faster and snappier
    Better battery life
    4G is much faster, if you have access to it.

The only downside is cost, as always. If you can afford it I'd upgrade.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Having used a S4 then the S5 from work id say the S5 is the best andriod phone ive used of the 2. If I was buying for myself on andriod id want a note 3 or 4 when it launches personally but thats just to me.

Really does depend on your main usage for the phone.