1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project "Insanity" (Corsair 800D - Dual Loop Water-Cooled System)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by drlawyer, 6 Aug 2012.

1. drlawyer

drlawyer What's a Dremel?

Greetings all.

I'm new to the bit-tech forum, but wanted to share the water-cooled / minor mod project I've been working on over the past year or so. This is my first water-cooled system after assembling my own machines for the past decade or so. Still technically a "work-in-progress", but it is entering the home stretch (at least as to the original concept).

Let me start by saying, for anyone starting a project log, read this great article that the moderators provided: http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2007/09/17/zen_and_the_project_log/1

I read it after I started this one, and blushed a bit at how many gaffs I committed. Now I'm going back through and trying to make my log less cumbersome, neater, cleaner (hey, just like my build!)

I call this one a "minor mod" because all I have really done to modify the case from its stock condition is remove the lower HDD cage to facilitate installation of a 120.2 radiator to cool the GPA array. However, water cooling is its own form of modding (to the uninitiated, anyway) and I did mod the video cards, so that has to count for something, right?

This particular build has been through three versions - the first two, I'll call "rough drafts". I'm going to mostly skip them for this thread, and stick to putting together a log of the most current build. For comparison's sake, here are a couple of example pictures of my first "drafts":

Version 1:
    [​IMG]

Version 2:
    [​IMG]

Even this "third" version has had some "sub" versions. For example, I originally had dual Radeon HD 5870 cards installed (featuring Danger Den DD-Summit water blocks), a Danger Den clear acrylic CPU block, and a Corsair HX1000 PSU.

[​IMG]

I replaced the CPU block with an EK Supreme HF block around the same time I upgraded the PSU to a Corsair AX1200 (and learned how to use my camera a little better).

[​IMG]

One of the better upgrades in my opinion was replacing the HD 5870s with the recently released Radeon HD 7950s. Having been so satisfied with the performance and appearance of the EK block on the CPU, I opted to stick with EK for the video cards. I wasn't disappointed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Aug 2012
  2. drlawyer

Here are a few pictures of some of the specifics relating to the build.

EK Waterblock and backplate installed on the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 cards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below is a breakdown of the metal piping I installed below the "hard-deck" to minimize the chance of leaks in the runs to and from the 120.2 radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. drlawyer

Here's a shot of my monitor array.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. drlawyer

A small update - I've swapped out my cables for the new MaxFinder triple-braided variety. They came pre-sleeved in alternating red and black, but are hard to find. I was able to locate only one or two for sale. In any event, here's the changeover for the 8-pin ATX ports near the CPU, so you can see the difference:

First, the prior, all-red BitFenix cables:

[​IMG]

Compare to the new red/black variety.

[​IMG]

I think the Bitfenix cables are an exceptional quality. The sleeving is cloth, very soft and very neat. I personally like the MaxFinders better because they are more rigid, the weave is much tighter (due to the "triple-braiding") and also are made of polyester. It's really going to be a Coke or Pepsi kind of decision. Personally, for my build, I think the MaxFinders look better.