1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia launches GeForce GTX Titan Z

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Utterly pointless IMO.. The only place I can see Dual GPU cards being useful is an ITX rig.. But this uses 2.5 slots, so cant fit in any cases! Otherwise it's cheaper to go SLI (you have the SLI issues either way) which can also be waterooled.. Or if you want it for professional uses, surely you'd go for a Quadro card?

3. rollo

rollo Modder

I like nvidia cards I buy like 2 every year give or take release cycles and gains. But this card is crazy its basically the cost of 4 780tis. 2 780ti are quicker cheaper and a lot less issues that goes from not been duel Gpu. You could build a complete system with 2 780ti in it for the cost of one card and still have change.

If you must have floating point buy tesla its about half the cost for a lot more. Similar story with quadro cards.

Nvidia have gone off the deep end with this one.

4. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Maximum Hyphenation!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No it isn't. This card is pretty much a Tesla K40/K20X with added graphics outputs; the K40 costs £4,300 at the cheapest, and it's only single-GPU (although, granted, that means you have access to the full 12GB for workloads instead of having only 6GB per GPU.)

EDIT: Finally, some firm figures. Why do they hide these things away? The Tesla K40 offers 1.43 teraflops (trillion floating point operations per second) in double-precision mode, while the K20X offers 1.31 teraflops; pre-release information from Nvidia claims 2.3 teraflops for the Titan Z (although this is, naturally, split betwix the two GPUs for 1.15 teraflops each.) Thus, to get the equivalent of the Titan Z in a Tesla - and, in doing so, gain much better support but lose graphics outputs, so no playing Wolfenstein on your supercomputer's downtime - you'd be looking to buy a pair of Tesla K20X cards at a total cost of about £7,000 - to the Titan Z's £2,400.

Last edited: 29 May 2014
  6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

"But it's the BEST single card!* How can you not love the advertising in that! :hehe:

*That WE'VE made.. It's still worse than that other card our ONE competitor has made, but dont worry about that! Besides, ours is twice the price so it MUST be better!" - How I imagine Nvidia's marketing devision to think.. :thumb:

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The price is nuts, it's almost twice the price of two normal Titans.
    Sure charge a premium for a single card solution, but 1k odd over the price of two separate cards seems a little high.

8. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

But can it run Crysis?

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

These complaints about it being pointless and costing a fortune are ridiculous. This card, and others like it are not about 'bang per buck' ratios, it's about status. It's no more pointless than a £10k+ gold coated, diamond encrusted iPhone, and yet people that have the money still buy them... because they can.

Unless I am mistaken, the Titan Z will indeed be faster than AMD's offering of a dual GPU regardless of the fact that it costs significantly more. Again I say that this isn't about value ratios.

10. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

e-penis super power activate!

11. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

so you basically mean it's for e-peen purposes only :D

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you are mistaken - the clocks per core are lower than the original titan let alone the `black` version - IIRC your looking at something comparable to GTX 780 (non ti) in SLI performance , which means not only do 3 AMD cards in CF beat it but so does 3 nv cards.

not counting the 7990 or GTX 690 which might even come close.

*cough* bit tech please test those*cough*

13. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

+1 with the group test! 295x2, TitanZ, 7990 and 690 would be a VERY interesting read.. ;)

14. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

A 690 (and a 7990) won't get close to the performance unless you end up with a significant CPU bottleneck. As you say you will be looking at GTX780SLI (more like Titan SLI TBH) performance as a miniumum which is in itself noticably faster than the 7990/690.

Mind you for the price it is a joke. The Titan at launch was expensive but at least it offered a level of GPU peformance above that of any other single GPU card available (and closed in on the dual GPU 690 when overclocked). The 690 itself was expensive but was basically the same price and performance as two 680's in SLI.

This on the other hand is almost comical.

Nvidia seriously need to strip the DP compute from it, slash the price in half (at least) and re-release it as the GTX790 to have a serious contender for the 295X2.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Anyone who would be willing to spend several thousand quid on Graphicscards would also accept nothing less for storage than a Pci-e SSD, 2x Titan Z use less space than 4x 780ti leaving room for it.
    As for watercooling, if you have the kind of money spare to buy two Titan Z you also have the money to get WC blocks for it custom made.

16. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

You are mistaken. I'm an optimist and like to calculate throughputs based on the boosted clock speeds, assuming a best case operating environment. Those figure show the Titan Z can generate more texels/s, but even looking optimistically at NVidia's card, AMD offer more pixels/s and more SP GFLOPS. NVidia offer more DP GFLOPS, but as the card targets gamers that isn't going to be too important. It's only good value for professionals doing a lot of DP compute work and not concerned about extras like ECC and the guaranteed long term stability of Tesla in an HPC environment.

17. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I would be surprised if Alphacool don't have one soon, with their 3D scanning service producing custom blocks.

18. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

EK seems to be on the job already, given they're producing the EVGA Hydrocopper version of the Titan Z. Can imagine they'll produce a few more variants for their own stockists pretty soon.

19. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Are Nvidia even working on the 8xx series of cards or are they just going to keep adding GPUs to Titan PCBs from now on?

20. ya93sin

ya93sin What's a Dremel?

These products always sell to the top end of the market, anyone who complains about the price should note that this product was never made with them in mind.