1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Raijintek Pallas Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Now we are seeing so many coolers listed in the test results, could a distinction be added to show liquid or air ? Not all of us are intimately familiar with a specific cooler's design from just the name.

3. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

anyone else misread the product name as "phallus" at first glance?

(also second the request for air vs. liquid distinction in graphs)

4. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

...No... :p

We'll look into clearing those up though :) How does separate charts sound? Or would we prefer different colours to distinguish?

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

This is asking to much maybe but maybe putting an (lp) or something next to low profile coolers and (AIO) next to the liquid coolers would help with anything else assumed to be a tower cooler.

I only add the (lp) idea as many HTPCs cannot support full sized tower coolers and this would help to compare like for like a bit more easily. Only an idea though.

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I think it's important to include an air and water mix, especially where they're the same price. We can certainly look at making low profile and all-in-one liquid coolers different colours or labeling them though. Don't forget that you can use the tags under 'More About' on the right side of the page to bring up other similar reviews too - like this for low profile coolers.

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Just an (a) or (w) after the product name or equally simple would suffice, with a line or two added into the review just before the table is presented explaining.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I second AlphaAngel's idea with the 3 groups, how you choose to show the distinction however is up to you but I would prefer to see them all listed together on the same chart rather than having to go back and forth to compare on different charts.

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yup! :p

At first I was thinking "Why have they called it tha....", then I was like "Oh, derp".

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Does this fit on a mini-itx?

11. Combatus

It was tall enough to clear the heatsinks on our Maximus V Formula but a lot will depend on your particular board. Were you thinking of one in particular? If we have it I can check it for you.

12. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

So... When it's due an AMD rig due to testing? I think it's a major fault in the reviews. And yes, I have an AMD.
    Was supposed to go to Intel but didn't have the enough money since pc died unexpectedly and had to build on a budget.

Luckily, my Zalman CNPS9900LED is compatible to FM2+, a plus for AMD, at least.

I insist on this because that might come a day I want to change cpu cooler and still can't go WC the pc and have no review avaliable here.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The Asus Z87I Professional and Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact have a daughterboard for power circuitry, so I would assume they are the "worst" case scenarios for cpu cooler compability, due to which a positive result on either of those two would mean it would fit on any mini itx board.

14. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

No, the worst case scenario would be most Socket 1156/1155/1150 MITX boards, because most of those have their sockets placed in close proximity to the PCI-E slot and thus severely limiting HSF choice. Constantly exasperating as an Intel MITX owner looking to replace the stock HSF.
    See: http://static.scan.co.uk/images/products/1510622-b.jpg

No such issues with AMD sockets, new or old, I can stick anything on my two AMD ITX boards (both with differing socket orientation) so all I needed to care about was height clearance. In fact I didn't even need to buy another HSF for them because of full socket compatibility all the way from S754 in 2003 through to FM2+ in 2014. Everything fits.

Intel MITX has been such an issue for component choice and the extra CPU performance not at all worth it, that I'll be going AMD next time no matter how stellar the Intel IPC is. And I won't need to buy another HSF to replace the stock one. I already have several.

15. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Damn you. I originally read it as palace but now every time I see I've read it as phallus.

16. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I am just amazed, although not surprised that someone would decide to base their whole PC choices around the compatibility of a CPU cooler. There are coolers that would suffice for less than £10 and it isn't THAT hard to find one that would fit that offers higher performance.

It literally took me 2mins to find this:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctua-nh-l9i-low-profile-quiet-cpu-cooler-intel-lga1150-1155-1156

Which states this in the product description:
    'At a super-low profile of only 37mm, the NH-L9i is ideal for extremely slim cases and due to its 95x95mm footprint, it provides full compatibility with tall RAM modules and VGA cards on mini-ITX mainboards'

Last edited: 18 Jan 2014
  17. Combatus

I can confirm that the Pallas fits on our P8Z77-i Deluxe - very similar layout, but only with the pointy ends of the heapipes facing downwards, so basically 90 degrees CW compared to the pic of it mounted on the last page. That;s enough to clear both DIMM slots too, with standard sticks in them. Only about 5mm clearance though so larger sticks are a no-no.

18. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

For these low profile coolers I'd love to see a matrix of which cooler fits which mITX board and Chassis as it can be a minefield when clearances are tight.

19. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Thank you for knowing exactly how suitable this HSF is for my needs/situation.
    How did my research for a suitable HSF for my situation miss this Noctua product (even though I own two other Noctua products) when your 2 minutes of searching came up with the perfect solution? Another story of the mysteries of the great Google-plex, eh?

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Thanks a lot:clap:

Tags: Add Tags