1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 3 Monitor setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bladesingerz, 8 Jul 2014.

1. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of adding a 2nd and 3th monitor to my setup, both would be 1440p monitors that have DVI-D ports.
    I'm currently running a R9 290 4GB watercooled and was wondering if it could run the 3 monitors for gaming and regular use.
    Ofcourse I'm well aware that gaming on ultra is out of the question but want to hear what would be possible.

My setup:
    Asus Crosshair V
    AMD FX-8350
    8GB Ram
    R9 290

2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

You should be able to run your monitors off the single 290 using the DVI ports (both dual link) and the Displayport.

Performance won't be *that* great given you are pushing well over 11 million pixels, but you should be able to get away with medium settings in the latest games (at around 30-50fps). Theoretically you may also run into VRAM issues but again the reduced settings should alleviate this somewhat (something to be aware of though if you decide to add another 290 to the mix).

My 290X manages fine at 5888x1080 (6.4MP) per my review, so take these numbers and take roughly 50% off to factor in the increase pixel count less reduced settings.

3. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thanks for that great review, I'm very tempted now to get 2 extra screens!

What about those display port to DVI-D converters, the monitors only have DVI-D inputs and my R9-290 only has 2 DVI-D's....
    converters require active converters I've read? But they cost a lot of monney. Any suggestions?

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

As you monitors are 1440p this is the one thing I am not sure about. The 290/290x can run three 1080p DVI monitors natively using passive adaptors (this is how I run mine), but 1440p may be different. I would like to say the third monitor can be run by a DP to DVI passive adaptor but I am not 100% on that. Lucikly the adaptors are only around £15 so it would be relatively cheap to give it a go before getting more expensive active adaptors (you would need a dual link active for 1440p if it is required).

5. bsp

bsp Minimodder

As someone with an AMD card who has display port woes, I have seen differing reports. Some people get blinking screens and report that the active adapters fix this. YMMV.

I have DP to mini DP and the last thing left for me to try is fiddling with the 2D clocks. As a temporary fix I can push the resolution down and back up. This fixes the blinking sometimes.

Good Luck! I'm going green next time.

6. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Oooh, sorry about the double post, but apparently my cable experiences interference that causes these blackouts. Found out today.. so it may be worth getting the converter then a sheilded cable :)