1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Cities: Skylines

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 3 Mar 2015.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

finally, the SimCity we should have got gets released on the 10th. watched some footage of it in action and its exactly what I was hoping sim city would be.

oh god this is going to be ****ing majestic :clap:

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I've been keeping my eye on it for a while and it does look good. I refuse to get my hopes up though!

3. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Preordered this yesterday. I agree, looks like what SimCity should of been and from reading all the dev blogs and things seems like they have put a lot of thought into the systems.

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

im going to wait till this comes out before making a decision on it,

i got burned with Sim City 5...and hence apprehensive about sticking my toes in the water again

that said, it does look like it has alot of potential

5. Measter

Measter What's a Dremel?

Youtuber Quill18 did a 9-hour stream of the game yesterday on Twitch.tv. During the stream at one point he was talking to the CEO of Colossal Order, and later the community manager of Paradox Interactive. He also uploaded a Let's Play (Episode 1, a road tutorial, a map editor tutorial, and an asset editor tutorial.

Arumba also did a stream, though it's not in the past broadcasts list. He did upload a let's play, though. First episode.

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I got to see a little demo of it at the last Paradox convention and was already impressed at that point so I'm expecting wonderful things from this game.
    As I thoroughly enjoyed what I saw at the convention, I've had this pre-ordered since it showed up as available to grab... getting really excited that we're getting close to the release date.

Between this and Europa Universalis, I am going to become an absolute hermit when I'm not at work.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2015
  7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I have enjoyed Sim City 5 for many hours, despite it's poor launch state. The ability to play that game but not be dependent on everyone else's connection being 100% stable all the time is actually really useful.

Cities Sky line from the few videos I have seen looks pretty good too, especially what appears to be much bigger maps and bigger pieces of infrastructure, presuming the damn in one of the videos is not just map decorations.

I'll check out the videos posted above but may wait for some reviews before taking the plunge. I literally only just got back in Anno 2070 last night, to play the Deep Ocean Expansion I bought ages ago but never got round to playing. Not sure I have time for another city builder until I am done with Anno.

I did notice that that Cities Skyline has a data layer very similar looking to Sim Cities, and no matter what else you might say about SC5, it's data layer was excellent. I am glad the Devs of Skyline have adopted a similar tool for management information.

8. creative

creative 500rwhp

that actually looks epic.

Might keep an eye on this one!

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

RPS had a hands-on stream the other day. The guy playing had never played the game before, so I see it being very similar to how I'm going to be when I play this :D

I haven't played a city builder since Caesar III, but from the aesthetic (and partly because of the heavy Finnish involvement), I pre-ordered it 2 weeks ago. Looking forward to playing :)

10. suenstar

I quite like the latest SimCity.
    It had an abysmal launch but now time has passed, it's turned things around a bit to make it a pretty decent game; it's fantastic when you compare it to the train wreck that is Cities XXL.

Possibly one of my favourite things about this game's design is the fact that you can relocate buildings without having to demolish them (for a small cost), so re-doing road networks will be a much more pleasant experience than it was in SimCity.

The fact that the map starts off about the size of SimCity's and then allows you to expand to 9x the size is brilliant. It allows people who were comfortable in the small size to continue to play as they like in that space and then expand when they reach that unavoidable space limit.

The best thing about the game though is definitely going to be the mod & steam workshop support, not enough city builders launch with the intention of letting the community loose on adding more to the game. Being able to design levels and share them is a bit of a bonus as well, as we'll very quickly have a limitless supply of maps to play on. :D

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Sad really.

13. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Linux is supported, on nom nom.

14. suenstar

It's sad news for the Maxis Emeryville office, I'd imagine any team members that do choose to integrate into the other studio teams will likely end up in the Redwood location as everyone EA closes seems to end up going there lately...
    Hopefully they'll have one of their studios pick up the SimCity mantle somewhere down the line as it would be a shame to let one less than popular iteration of the series kill off such an iconic name.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Mere hours peeps, mere hours

[​IMG]

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Please be good, please be good, please be good.

Given the reviews of the previous games though, I'm expecting it to be pretty poor.

17. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Been watching a couple of streamers (Lirik [muted], KingKongor [muted[, and CohhCarnage) play this. Just from what 've seen it's a major stepup to SC5.
    I've never been a big fan of these city management games, but this does look good.

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

More excited for HM2 today but have picked this up anyway, I'm hoping they will continue working on it as it feels like it needs a few things before it feels like a fully complete game (no day/night cycle for starters).

19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I watched a few of the lets plays from unit lost and sadly was not that impressed. The map they played on looked no bigger than sc5 and the visuals were pretty amateurish imo. For me I'd have to be confident that actual city management aspects are really top notch. definite going to keep my eye on this game post release.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you start off with a 2kmx2km plot and buy more plots when needed up to a maximum of 32x32km, or you can install a mod to unlock it all from the get go.