1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other peaches geldof rip

Discussion in 'General' started by erratum1, 8 Apr 2014.

1. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Found dead at her home in kent aged 25 leaving behind 2 sons.

I feel sad for the Geldof family they have really been through it and now this.

Her last tweet...

[​IMG]

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

R.I.P

Last edited: 8 Apr 2014
  3. fu manchu

fu manchu I'll have the special.

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Is there a more inappropriate song?

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Just tragic :(

6. Darkwisdom

I don't like to put a downer on it, but why is this more tragic than any other death? Because she's in the media? A couple were killed in a london hotel with a hammer the same day; is that not more shocking?

It does agitate me when 'celebrities' are given more time for dying rather than something like a grisly murder. She wasn't exactly an important person who changed or did anything particularly memorable. She was a journalist who primarily got where she is because of her father.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This. Couldn't agree more.

8. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Peaches memorabilia on ebay already :eyebrow:

9. Darkwisdom

I don't live very far from where she died; it's all I can hear about from anyone.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

+1.

11. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

You're a miserable bunch it is still somebodys daughter I didn't follow peaches but just a simple pay of respects to her family.

Her son is only 1 and her other is nearly 1.

Opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one.

Some nerd always has to turn it into a rant about how the world is wrong bla bla bla...go and get laid.

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

So? Happens a hundred times each day, but it's not in the media unless it's a celebrity.

Seriously, I couldn't care less about these celebrities, as I don't know them personally.

I care more about the tens of thousands of people starving each day, because our western modern societies won't help them or let them help theirselves, but you don't see them in the news, do you?

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Don't forget this lot then.

14. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It comes with the job, celebrity life, celebrity death, live in the spotlight, die in the spotlight, nothing new about it, look at the media when Princess Diana died, sad but true.

15. Darkwisdom

I've got three kids so getting laid isn't some special thing dude.

To clarify, some non-celebrity gets more air time for dying than grisly murder or massive war death tolls. No one said anything about how the world is wrong; the media is wrong for making people think that someone like peaches geldof is more important than tens of thousands of other people that die everyday. It's tragic sure, but no more important.

16. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Wind in your neck.

I didn't say it was any more tragic than any other death. It's tragic. As tragic as any other death, they are all equally as sad unless the person has lived a long and fulfilled life.

Peaches Geldof was a baby ! I've got step kids her age.

I couldn't give a flying **** if she was a celebrity, or rich, or gotten where she was off the back of her father. The fact is she's dead, and two children have to grow up without a parent.

If you can't empathise then I would refrain from commenting, because from where I'm sitting you're making yourself look like a bit of an arsehole.

flibblesan likes this.
  17. Darkwisdom

Oh no; I empathise fully. It is a tragic thing, as she has children to leave behind and I can very much empathise with that. It just bothers me that celebrities are treated as important people compared to anyone else. I never said that I didn't empathise, nor that it wasn't tragic. Deaths are always tragic, but her death is no more tragic than a starving african, like many thousands that die everyday.

Please don't jump to conclusions about whether I empathise or not; it makes you look like a bit of an arsehole as well. Just a heads up; nothing annoys me more than people putting words in my mouth.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

35-year old woman is dying of cancer. She'll leave behind three children (two with physical disability) and a loving husband. I started seeing them a few years ago, on and off, helping them grieve and come to terms as each physical deterioration brought them closer to that day. Now it has arrived. It's no easier.

25-year old woman is dying of cancer. She used our session to talk to her husband about how she wants him to raise their two-year old daughter after she's gone.

25-year old celebrity daughter dies unexpectedly. She leaves behind two toddlers and a husband.

I know that other people die too, and that theirs is no less important a tragedy. Sometimes I was holding their hand at the time; sometimes I held the grieving spouse; once I even did the eulogy at the funeral at their request. All tragic deaths deserve a certain compassionate respect. I know we're all cynical internet tough guys, aware of the harsh realities of life and death, but let's all remember bindibadgi's rule no. 1:

1. Don't be a dick.

This was a public service broadcast.

19. Darkwisdom

You're right there Nexxo. All of them tragic, but only the celebrity is the one people say "so tragic". It just bugs me the way media seems to brainwash people into thinking that celebrity deaths are more important, or more heartwrenching. I don't see it that way; they're the same really.

I can empathise with peaches' death because I also have young children but I would've said the same if I saw a young mothers death in the newspaper. Still tragic, but no more important.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's not that they are more important; it's that they are more in the public eye, hence our consciousness. When it happens to them, we are suddenly confronted with the fact that it can happen to us and ours.

Sure, other young people die tragically, but we don't know them. They are anonymous statistics. We all know Peaches Geldof though: we know her face, we've seen her on TV tearing a strip of Katie Hopkins (for which alone she should be commemorated), we've heard her on the radio, we've read about her life. And although what we see and read of her in the media is more the illusion of knowing her rather than knowing her for real, we kind of feel that we did. She kind of feels like a real young mother died here, and confronts us with the fact that real young mothers do sometimes die, and it's tragic.

When Jade Goodie died of cervical cancer, we suddenly were confronted with the fact that young women die of cervical cancer. When Kylie Minogue had breast cancer, we suddenly were confronted with the reality that any woman can get breast cancer. When celebrities die, we are acutely reminded that real people die, not just statistics, not just meaningless names with fuzzy black-and-white pictures on page 6.

Celebrities' deaths are not more important; they are a reminder that everybody's death is.