1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: LAN Raider 02-April

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kumo, 7 Oct 2005.

1. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

I have a new project in my mind. I going to call it LAN Raider. In my previous mod i used parts of a LAND RAIDER tank from Warhammer 40K... And it gave me the idea... of the name, not the case's shape hehehe.

I'll start the project soon, but first i have to locate materials and founds.

The overall idea is to transform a Shuttle into a BTX shuttle by flipping the mobo in vertical to allow more room for components and ventilation. But i don't want a full midtower transformation. I desire a more shuttle box look.

I already thinked in some details like windows and others, but i'm still in the planning stage.

The more complicated part at this point is to find a suitable case or maybe make it form scratch... we'll see.

ps: i don't know if the correc verb is to flip.... :p

The idea:

[​IMG]

I know, i know, the draw is a crap... And it let many unaswered question about the position of PSU, DVD and pump, for example.

One possible solution... Hanging modules for PSU and DVD... Rocket Launchers?? (PS: Fans of the original Battletech... Maybe we have a CATAPULT or a MADCAT) I've thinked in nice alu modified external 5 1/4 enclosures for the modules.

[​IMG]

Other posibility is to enlarge (or make a full new case) a shuttle box to accept better the DVD and move to bottom the PSU.

Personally the idea of the modules like me, althoug routing the wires to the main body can be... more than painful??

Still to decide, but a pair of aproximations to the modules holders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The material and the way of fabrication take part when deciding the shape. What do you think? I like more the second type.

Comments and ideas accepted HERE!

Last edited: 2 Apr 2006
  2. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Today i've bought the firt "module" a external Conceptronic 5" 1/4 box:

[​IMG]

The box is quite big, but can do the job with a little work of mod:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first problem is the size of the mobo. I can't simply turn of the mobo 90º inside a normal Shuttle box, because the case is widder than higher. i have two possibilites in mind to solve this.

One of these is simply to turn 90º all the case. The other one involves a lot of cutting :)

3. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

LAN Raider Shuttle Mech

The LAN Raider worklog can be found HERE.

[​IMG]

Ideas and comments acepted!!

Last edited: 8 Oct 2005
  4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

An interesting concept, Kumo, but I fail to see the point of flipping the shuttle? There's nothing to gain by doing so, you make no more room in the box and actually the ICE cooling system won't function as it is supposed to. It seems you're talking of watercooling it, making that portion a non-issue, but still...

When we flip ATX mobos upside down, it's generally with the goal of making cable routing easier, or occasionally for a funky heat concern. I'm not sure I see the practicality of doing so with a shuttle. So I'll be interested to see where you go with this! I DO like the idea of the hanging DVD/PSU...could be interesting.

By the way, you are the first person I've seen on this whole forum reference the MADCAT. :) w00t!

5. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

I love Battletech classic board game :D A few dozens of lances are running for my room :) Although you ever can see me behind a MARAUDER.

I'm thinking in a best wat to cooling the case. I'm actually using watercoo for the shuttle (project darkwater) maybe in this way i could use a bigger rad.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2005
  6. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Some suff bought:

[​IMG]

5 and 3mm MDW some glue and screws, L and U ALU profiles...

I decided to turn 90º all the case :)

7. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Glueing something together is always a good point to start a new project :)

Making a new suit for the chasis. A corner, why not?

[​IMG]

8. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

The concept:

[​IMG]

The chasis turned 90º inside the outter box. The U shapes allow some fresh air behind the mobo tray.
    The problem for now will be the GPU and its block. My 6600GT with the homemade block cant fit inside of this desing (as we can saw in the Darkwater Project). The enlargement solution of one portion of the top is available but isn't my primary option. I should change the block only or both. A 6800 with the DD block can be a solution but isn't a cheap solution...

Another corner :)

[​IMG]

I also decide to change the modules purpouse. One for the DVD writer with and ABIT IDE to SATA adapter and the other for the SATA HD. In this way is easier to manage the wires from and to the case.
    Also in the module of the HD (same as the DVD) there is room for some gadget if needed.

9. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

News about the project! Are you ready? I'm thinking (and taking measures) in mount a BI PRO 2 rev.2 into the case :D "How?" you'll say. Well,you'll see it... when i get the blix :p If i can i'll try to make a drawing.

Others things:

I'm testing my idea of the external box+IDE-SATA adapt.+DVD-RW. To see if it possible.

[​IMG]
    The half modded, now very light, conceptronic case with the GSA4082B DVDRW. I left the other faster 4163B writer for the Chii-EDPC (now on remaking) since i burn most of my discs there.

[​IMG]
    To have a nice bundle of SATA wires is always useful :)

[​IMG]
    The unit ready for takeoff.

[​IMG]
    It works!

More of this crazy project soon.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2005
  10. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

A new aproximation to the inner parts... Maybe, maybe...

[​IMG]
    Don't you love Paint? :D

11. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

The rad is thicker than in my draw, but its only a rough draw.

Today i've bought the second external box (module) for the SATA HD.

[​IMG]
    The box and an extra... A second hand PSone 5" TFT that i've found while come back from the shop... For this mod? I still don't know but was a good opportunity to catch one for a few bucks.

[​IMG]
    The HD in the box ready for the test. I will need a longer SATA cable when the box will be mounted in position. It works well.

More soon!

12. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

I've resized and glued the pieces for the case.

[​IMG]
    The first piece sized down.

[​IMG]
    Gluing the outter shell. WHen the glue will be cured, more cuts will be needed to make vents for rad, and others.

More soon.

13. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

New wargear and air cooling.

Today i've bought my new GPU. A 6800GT with 256MB DDR3. I'm Happy :)

[​IMG]
    The card specs

[​IMG]
    The card's PCB is quite big, and almost fill the whole side of the Shuttle. The golden bar its a nice addition to avoid the card bends with the weight.

[​IMG]
    To make test and takes measures, i've come back to the air cooling, for simplifycate the work. I've used the Silentcat instead the original sunon for a better cooling with less dead spot and more airflow.

More to come.

14. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

New items in the armory...

New block for the kid (hehe :p )

[​IMG]
    A NV-68 waterblock for the new GPU. You have seen this block other times... look well...

[​IMG]
    ..."From the crazy swede Mashie" Yes! It's the Doom 3 case waterblock! With a nice autograph from Mashie. I think it's the first autograph in a block :D

more updates soon.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2005
  15. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

a IDE-SATA adapter works with a cd drive?!? thats awesome! this thing will be amazing. one question about hte military switches though. are they the kind wiht hte flip up cover thing or just normal switches? if theyre the flip up kind i suggest spaceing them out more because if their cramped in like that theyll not look good or be as easy to use.

16. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Yeah. It works quite well.

Flip up cover style. If at last i use that switches, i have seen they ready to install mounted in a nice alu sheet for car tuning and they're well spaced. That point depend a little of the progress in the front face of the case once i'll have the main body more or lees finished.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2005
  17. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

Cool ideas, always like watching your work....

18. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Thanks. Good to see you again.

19. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Not too much modding this weekend, but it's taking shape.

The way of the PODs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actualy, they are fixed with 4 screws each and nylon espacers. But also they need a more hi-tech finish, so i'll make some more adecuate fake fixings.

More Soon.

20. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Some updates:

[​IMG]
    Top holes for vent purpouses. Round shape to maintain the overall strengh. That holes will be covered and meshed so the inside will not be visible.

[​IMG]
    The vents and the first pice for the front.

[​IMG]
    The Second piece for the front. The basic frame for the floor of the cockpit being glued. 2 L shape angles to reinforce the structure.

More to come soon.