1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Should I feel Guilty?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookie, 12 Mar 2014.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Ok so the wife did our online shop with ASDA last night. I didn't see the order myself, i just put in requests and eat it :lol:

Anyway, ASDA guy turns up tonight (wife and child not yet home) and throws bags at me and a list, then a PDA thingy to sign, then legs it into the night! So here I am surrounded by food that needs putting away. Generally we stick to the same stuff each week but I start to notice things like fresh salmon and luxury hams as I'm putting it all away :D

Anyway wife gets in and I question why she spent out on the extras! and she she gives me that look as if to say what extras? After going through all the salamis and cheeses and fresh meat we reckon there is around 50 quids worth of extra food. Now I should have called ASDA but by then I already had a red leicester cheese sandwich with a mini pork pie.

What's the worst that could happen?

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Nothing will happen. They screwed up and gave you a bunch of extra food. Personally I'd probably call and tell them because it seems the honest, decent thing to do, but if you choose not to do not expect any blow back from it.

3. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

if someone delivers stuff addressed to you but its not what you ordered then I believe your not legally obliged to return it. Given it's perishable goods I very much doubt there going to send someone round to collect it (and I'm not sure they could resell it even if they did as they have no idea what you've done to it, if you've stored it at the correct temp etc).

If you knew at the time the delivered it that it was wrong and you didn't point it out then I would say that's a little morally questionable, but given you didn't know I'd just enjoy it.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

At the end of the day they won't want the food back, too much time and effort to come and collect it, they can't charge you for it as it's their mistake plus they can't tell if you have stored any of it correctly so it couldn't be resold.

Only thing that concerns me is the driver might get in trouble if you report it, yeh he most likely made the mistake but everyone makes mistakes don't they. Well my wife doesn't but that's another story :)

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

The argument here is that you've been sent stuff you didn't order. You were expecting a delivery of food from them so sadly the unsolicited goods argument won't wash. At best Asda will re-deliver the goods to the right person who originally ordered it and not follow up.

At worst they may ask you to pay for what you had extra as effectively you have a duty to contact them and make them aware of the fact you had something you did not order. You have a duty of care to make reasonable attempt to return the stuff to Asda.

In reality they probably don't want all the hassle of collecting it, and even of they did the person it should have gone to won't want it back and Asda would more than likely just bin it anyway.

Hang on to it, say nothing and feel guilt free in the fact that you've got one over on a large supermarket chain, at the end of the day they earn enough money, you may aswell enjoy their cock up - I know I would :D

6. StaticFX

StaticFX What's a Dremel?

they will throw it away anyways... i dont think they would be allowed to resell food items that a customer returned (what if you poisoned it? ya know?) lawsuit.... enjoy!

7. Behemoth

Mrs. Behemoth used to be a delivery driver for Sainbury's, all the stuff that wasn't wanted/returned by customers when it was taken back to stores was meant to be destroyed rather than put back on the shelves to be re-sold.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You're overthinking this, ASDA doesn't care, it happens fairly often, enjoy the extra food and don't worry about it. There is absolutely nothing bad that can or will happen on account of you eating the extra food that was delivered.

I often get extra bits in my Ocado order. I've mailed them once highlighting it and they apologised for any inconvenience... as getting extra freebies is clearly incredibly inconvenient. I don't mail any more.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Don't feel any guilt IMHO. Enjoy the luxury food!

10. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

The moment you realise it's not yours and decide to keep it (or treat it in any way as yours) you commit theft.

Come on here and say "I accidentally downloaded loads of indie games. But once I had them I thought I may as well play them, so I did" and you'll get blackballed. Come on here and say you ripped off a load of food and everyone applauds.

Jus sayin

G0UDG likes this.
  11. Behemoth

Super markets steal from us and not to mention the companies/people/farmers that supply them with their goods on a daily basis. It doesn't hurt from them to loose out on a few quid here and there. Something I would be loosing no sleep over.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It'll cost too much time/hassle to for them to give a monkeys. They'd happily let you eat it and earn some goodwill. Wish my Asda sent me pork pies....

13. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

From a moral point of view Honesty is always the best policy, yes supermarkets rip people off but that is no justification for us to be dishonest

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The items you have pointed out are chilled, As it's reached you, the 'Cold Chain' is complete, therefore, if Asda were to return and collect, it would go straight into the bin after being written off. Written off stock comes out of the stores profits. Well, it does where i work.

Sam

15. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Screw Asda and the horse it rode in on. Probably got horse in the stuff you ordered anyway.

We are being screwed by all supermarket chains, as are the suppliers and workforce.

Asda stick their lorries on the road and wont allow them over 40mph on a B-road even if it is clearly safe to do more, buggering up your day.

Their staff are told to ask you twenty questions about your day, what your are doing, what you are planning to do, anything but scan the stuff through the till and are not allowed to give you more than 1 carrier bag at a time even though you have got a trolley load of stuff. Oh and insist on referring to you as 'guys'.

So enjoy your salmon etc and if there are any bones in it, fake choke and get the law firm Joe 'Squeaky B*****d' Pasquale advertises and sue the arse off them. In fact sue them anyway for the stress they have caused by dumping this free food at your door.

Anyone else on the moral high horse ( its like Cheltenham this post) can do one as well.

The worst that could happen is you could end up working for them.

footnote: I may not have had the best of days today and I hate Asda (Farkin Asda in this house) at the best of times.

16. Mister_Tad

Wrong - a prerequisite to theft is "dishonest appropriation". In this case there was nothing dishonest about how the items came in to the OPs possession.

I'm not saying screw ADSA because they're a big corporation and deserve it by the way, I'm saying don't worry about it and waste your time trying to fix it because there's nothing you can do about it and ASDA have already written it off. If you're having moral issues, drop them an email to make yourself feel better and wait for their apology advising you to do what you like with it, or even bin it all yourself and notify them as such.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2014
  17. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

ASDA and other supermarkets throw away tons of perfectly good food every day which is a far bigger 'crime' than keeping food mistakenly delivered to you.

19. Mister_Tad

The wording of that CAB page is frankly pretty poor.

How is one supposed to differentiate between goods sent by mistake and unsolicited goods - a crystal ball to reveal the sender's intentions?

Knowing this doesn't presume contact with the sender - you need to contact the sender for goods sent by mistake, but it would only be reasonable to do so with unsolicited goods...

20. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Yes feel guilty. Feel very guilty about the fact that I don't have red Leicester sandwiches with a side of pork pie!
    Though I did have salmon tonight...

I wouldn't be too worried, but if it happened to me i would contact them anyway, that way my conscience is clear and I won't worry about the food bailiffs knocking on the door

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk