1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leadtek Winfast DTV1000 T

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 26 Oct 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Sounds like a decent card. Maybe I missed it in the article, but what do these cost?

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

we're not sure at the moment, but expect it to be competitive - down in the last paragraph ;)

4. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

i would't pay more than £20.00 for that :eyebrow:

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Well, consider this, I'm paying £120 for my new TV card sometime later. £20 would only get you a bog standard poor quality card, I've got a £25 and its not all that great!

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

There are a few niggles, as I mentioned, but I think they're software related rather than hardware. The ghosting only happens when you're in high-motion video with lots of moving around. It's not that bad, and the screen shots exaggerate it a little. Most TV cards suffer from the same thing anyway.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Good to see a company that has finally exploited the opportunity afforded by DVB - namely, to decode multiple channels from the same transport stream simultaneously. That seems to me like such an obvious (and, I would think, relatively simple) refinement that I'm surprised no-one has done it before. Unless I missed it. Which I probably did. So just ignore me - I'm not here.

8. dom_

dom_ --->

does it act as two cards in mce then? or one?
    (did i miss that?)

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

you can link two cards together for dual tuner goodness in MCE, giving you a max of four broadcasts from two "providers" simultaneously.

10. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

I guess this can do DTV, but no HDTV?

11. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

EPG works on my Sony Set Top Box and my Hauppauge WinTV Nova-t.

EPGs are available in the UK.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

does support HDTV, oops forgot to mention that in the review. :blush:

13. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

yep, EPG works with my compro DVB-T200 too with the included software, and GB-PVR can find an EPG source too.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

I can get channel information, but there's no way to look at the electronic program guide using the software - it just crashes.

15. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

If the product only has one tuner then to my knowledge MCE only records the channel not the transport stream, so you would only be able to record two shows at once (with two tuners) on mce not the 4 you mention.
    Also the terminology of "Providers" is confusing surely you mean on the the mux.

I hope you don't mean the nebula if so I wouldn't purchase one quiet yet until the 3.5 version of the software is out of Beta stage, at its current beta stage it's a pile of steaming sh*t. Although it will record more than one channel as long as it's on the same mux with one tuner, which i think was being explained in the review of the Winfast.

What alot of people seem to forget that this product has BDA driver which means 3rd party applications will be able to support fairly easy unlike the cheap dvb-t cards I see people buying lately such as the freecom usb dvb-t product and a few others.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2005
  16. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

How does the image quality compare to the ati theater 550 pro?

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I didn't state that you could record 4 different channels, you can watch up to four broadcasts at the same time with dual tuners, as you've got dual picture in/over picture modes, meaning that you can simultaneously view four channels from two different transport streams. You can only record from one channel per card.

This particular tuner splits down channel selections into providers. Basically the software terms the channels that share the same base frequency as one group of channels from a provider. I believe transport stream is the correct terminology.

18. herbs

Sorry I misread but to my knowledge still out of the box you will still only can watch one channel at the time in MCE, as afaik MCE doesn't provide the PiP or other picture/picture features (click here). Also do you know that the drivers can support two instances of the same card as your example of watching 4 channels? as some tv cards cannot.
    Transport stream is the whole mux.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yes, clearly states on the back of the box that you can run two cards together, so I'm assuming that you can run two side by side. :)

20. herbs

The ati 550 is an analogue card where the winfast DTV1000 is a digital card, so depending on your country and location it can effect the quality. The winfast DTV1000 card (actually any dvb-t card) depends on the codec used for display , and digital streams mostly broadcast in mpeg2 format already and the recording is straight to hard drive without any conversion. So depending on the broadcast bit rate and compression ratio used by the channel your display/recording the quality can be poor or good, but with digital you do not get the issues associated with analogue signals check out https://www.aca.gov.au/radcomm/publications/better_tv_radio/tv_index.html . With digital there are different issues.
    But to answer question generally you should get a better picture, and to be truthful alot of countries are fazing out analogue broadcasts on tv.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2005
Tags: Add Tags