1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning 2 PC's one PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Iain Stott, 23 Feb 2017.

1. Iain Stott

Iain Stott What's a Dremel?

I am looking at building a new cabinet for my hardware as I would like to add a firewall and new switch to try and future proof a little. I have one old i7 920 running off a 600w PSU, and I am looking at digging out my even older Q6600 for the firewall.

The i7 and mobo came out of an Alienware Area 51 ALX that also had either a 1.2Kw or 1.5Kw PSU..
    Would it be feasible to run the two systems of the one PSU if I branched off the 24pin and 8pin. Then if so, if I were to mod the PSU to be on all the time it has power by joining PWR_ON wire to GND, will I be able to power down each PC independently??

Both machines would run headless so no power required for GPU, but will have about 10 HDDs and 1 DVD drive between them.

Cheers Iain

2. Iain Stott

Ok, so I've had a look around and seems like it can be done, now I've looked at my psu to see what power it outputs and on the 12v it says 12v(A-G) = 11.5a, will that be total across all rails or per rail???

Thanks In Advance
    Iain

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That's per rail, and 11.5A is very weak.

I wouldn't have thought you could turn off a PC without turning the PSU off...

You can indeed split them, but they will both always be on or both be off.

4. Iain Stott

That's what I thought, but it ran the i7 system when I first got it with dual GPUs and stuffed full of HDDs, so thought that if I distribute the hardware across the rails then I would be fine, 8 rails is over 90A.

Cheers
    Iain

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

6. Iain Stott

Cheers bud, I have come across that on my travels, not found one in stock anywhere I've looked, but not looked that hard for it to be honest. Plus I'm toying with the idea of a 3rd motherboard when I've found out the draw for each to see if the 12v rails will support it

7. FatalSyntaxError

FatalSyntaxError What's a Dremel?

Hey Iain,

Just did a quick check for the Phanteks power splitter and Overclockers UK have it in stock as I wrote this message. Here's the direct link for convenience! Phanteks Power splitter

Link should take you to the power splitter, which is to be confused with the phanteks power combiner. (looks that same but takes two PSU's and combines them into one output for a single motherboard)

Last edited: 26 Mar 2017