1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows how do i update Emachines bios

Discussion in 'Software' started by TJK, 18 Sep 2005.

1. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

I have an emachines t1742 that is giving me some problems. First, i cant find the bios flash jumper. Second, I would like to get another bios for it so i can use the full capabilites of the motherboard and not have to see the emachines boot screen every time i start up. It is an intel celeron - like 1.7 ghz i think, and i am lookig for help

2. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Mind posting what motherboard it is?

3. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

1) Sorry you have an eMachine. . .

2) eMachines product support is em, worthless- it does not say what type of motherboard is in you PC, nor do they supply a BIOS update.

3) Are you sure a BIOS update will unlock the "full capabilities" of your motherboard? Sure they've slapped on an annoying boot screen (I know Intel also does the same, I hate their boards. . .) but I doubt a BIOS would change much about your PC.

4) Every motherboard I have ever seen has had a jumper to clear the CMOS. If not, you can pull the battery on the board and clear the CMOS that way. I have not yet seen a motherboard with a jumper specifically for flashing the BIOS, instead you either have to download a utility and a BIOS file on a floppy and flash that way. There might also be options from within the BIOS to flash a update the BIOS.

Good luck.

L J

4. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

ok i am mistaken. I cannot find the jumper to clear the cmos. Also, emachines does not tell me what board i have, other than the fact that it is a trigem??? I am using Phoenix bios right now, and i havent found a way to get rid of the emachines boot screen. and yes, i too am sorry that i have an emachines, but it was free, and 1.7ghz was better than the 800mhz i had for doing school work. If anyone can find a manual, i have been unsuccessful, as emaichines support is "worthless"..
    even if i am unsuccessful in updating the bios, can i possibly remove the emachines screen so i can sell the comp to someone without them knowing its an emachines - only the proc and mobo are original, i added new ram, hdd, dvd-rw etc.

any help is appreciated
    Tim

5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Simply put, your going to have to search for some markings on the motherboard, that will identify the board. Otherwise, the odds of finding someone here with a manual for that PC are pretty low.

If the board is made by a company called "trigem" then I have never heard of such company and I doubt the board has much quality at all. I would upgrade the board to something farily cheap from a decent brand before selling the computer.

L J

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You can get the latest T1742 mobo drivers from here, and the BIOS for a T1742 from AMI/Phoenix, but it will cost you $30. And it will still (I bet money) show the same boot screen. You can't just swap to any Phoenix 6.x BIOS, it has to fit the mobo hardware chips, so you need brand, model and revision.

With a popular board you'll find information on modded bioses and changing the ROM graphics, with an old cheapo odd-ball, fat chance,

7. rmac2001

rmac2001 What's a Dremel?

8. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

9. songzila

songzila What's a Dremel?

install cpuz and it will tell you the detail of motherboard and hardware,than you can download the latest bios chipset drivers.

Tags: