1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMP client on Linux

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Bork_Bork, 26 Apr 2009.

1. Bork_Bork

Bork_Bork What's a Dremel?

I've decided to start folding again, used to fold 24/7 and have 427,480 points:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=173877

I have switched from Vista to Linux since I was last folding, I have installed the SMP client although I haven't set it up as a service yet.

In system monitor Cores 1,2 & 4 are at 100% and in the processes tab I only have 3 x Fahcore_a0.exe.

Isn't the SMP client meant to be using all 4 cores? I can't see anything obvious that I have missed so I thought I'd check.

The previous WU hung with the following error:

A potential conflict was detected:

Process 10723 is currently running and may also be a client with Mach. ID 1.
    Program will now exit. Upon restart, this check will not be done --
    you may wish to check that no client is currently running in
    /home/dan/folding before restarting.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2009
  2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Core_a0.... Right, this sounds a little strange. You're actually running one single instance of the smp client or multiple instances of the standard client? The machine ID error would suggest it may be the later..... (or could just be due to previous hang).

Anyway, you should be getting Core_a1 or Core_a2 WU's if you're really using the Linux smp client. OK, best thing is to download V6.24 of the Linux smp client from here, start it with 'fah6 -configonly' to configure username name, team name, etc. etc. Then run it with 'fah6 -smp 4 -advmethods -verbosity 9'. (The '-advmethods' should ensure that you get Core_a2 WU's if available, which provide a better PPD.)

Last edited: 26 Apr 2009