1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell monitor warranty

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boardoombob, 20 Apr 2013.

1. Boardoombob

Boardoombob What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me what the warranty is like on Dell monitors?

I've just had my 3008WFP go on me and I'm not particularly happy about it :(

Cheers.

2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

From what people say on this forum it is one of the best available - others can tell you more but from what I understand they send you a new monitor and you put yours in the box it came in, attach a label and send yours to them. Job done. Give them a call as they are the best to tell you how things work.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know how it works in the U.K... you guys have strange things.. I thin you need to call the retailer that sold your the monitor or something stupid like that.

But if I am wrong, and it's like other regions in the world: All you have to do is call Dell Tech Support, and explain your problem, and what you tried (change cable, tried a different input, power on and off, make sure the power cable is fine, and try a different outlet).

From there, Dell will issue a RMA ticket. You will get to keep the monitor (well in your case it doesn't mater as it really doesn't work), while Dell ships you a replacement monitor (in your case, if they are out of your monitor, they will ship you the newer model.. so possibly a U3011. I doubt you'll get the new U3014). Once you received the monitor, in the box, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label. All you have to do is install the replacement monitor, and put the old one in the box of the replacement the best you can, and stick the prepaid shipping label, over the old one. Finally, call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up.

That simple. So Dell pays for everything.

Dell UltraSharp series monitor have a 3 year warranty, extendable to 5 year warranty if you choose to have it.

4. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

If it is within the (usual) 3 year warranty, ring them up, give them the service tab details and a new one will be delivered next day and the damaged one picked up when the new one is delivered, or it could be picked up a day or so later...but a top warranty from Dell usually...

5. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

Their warranty was pretty awesome for me!

Bought a U2711 off ebay for £400, it went on me after a month and a half, and even though it was 3rd hand, (technically the company the guy worked for owned it first, then him, but he hadn't changed the details on the warranty, neither had I since I didn't expect it to go that quickly!) the guy on the phone had a bit of a riggle getting me a new one, but phoned me back after about 20 minutes of looking into it and said a new one would be dropped off tomorrow and to put the broken on in the box it was delivered in and the following day a carrier would be out to pick that up. Got an A09 i think revision instead of the A01 model I had. woo!

I'm not sure what the warranty on the replacement is like so need to check that some how!

6. deaglecat

deaglecat What's a Dremel?

You don't need to register for a Dell warranty (3 years) on Ultrasharp and Studio if you buy direct from Dell.

If you bought from Amazon (or similar) then some folk have had hassles registering because there is no service tag on some monitors (but the larger ones 27 inch plus are ok) and you need the original order number (not your order with the online retailer).

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Monitors from Dell don't have a service tag.
    You only have a service tag if you buy the monitor with a PC, because it follows the PC warranty (so, it's not a good deal to buy a PC with a monitor bundled with it).

8. Lord Badger

Lord Badger What's a Dremel?

Dells customer support was excellent when my ultrasharp 2408 died (I was pleasantly surprised as I's had a few bad experiences with them at work dealing with laptops). It happened at around 35 months old (for 36 month warranty), I called them late afternoon Monday and a replacement was delivered with the old one take away Tuesday morning. All very easy, spent no more than 10 minutes on the phone to them (including hold time) and just needed to provide them with an order number from Scan (Scan's order number from Dell, not mine from Scan) which Scan gave me without any problems. This experience Dell are now top of my list when looking for new monitors.

9. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Go in what sense? If your warranty isn't avaliable they do fetch in the region of £200 broken on eBay assuming its electrical and not dead pixels / panel

10. Boardoombob

Cheers all.

Unfortunately the warranty expired about a month ago, so no luck on that front.

Interestingly, there appears to be a 'known' issue with a dodgy capacitor on the power board (link to post on Badcaps.net forum).

Rather than going with the 'DIY replace' job (my technical skills are nowhere near good enough for that) I was planning on trying to find an entire replacement powerboard.

Does anyone have any experience with buying stuff from TaoBaobao?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend anywhere/anyone in the North London/Herts/Beds area that'd be good enough to do the 'DIY replace' fix?

For ref, there's a rather good replacement guide on the OcUK forum

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Where'd you buy it from Boardoombob?

Could make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act if so motivated to get your panel fixed for free! :thumb:

Just read my signature thread.

12. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I bought a replacement power board off Taobao and it arrived broken. Your best avenue for repair is to get them under sale of goods act by far. For the moment my Dell 3008WFP lies dead. My full tale is documented in that Badcaps thread

13. Boardoombob

Blogins - I got it from Scan. Will PM you for advice if that's ok?

Fuus - Good advice, thanks :)

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Please tell me you bought it on a credit card.

15. Boardoombob

Yes, purchased on a credit card

16. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Good luck with the repair hunt. if all else fails I'd love to buy it from you. PM'd

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's good! Means you have Section 75 protection.

18. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Any new on whether or not you got this fixed?

19. Boardoombob

I'm just waiting on one of the local companies to get back to me around writing up an engineers report, then we'll see.

If a replacement isn't possible (item is no longer stocked) and the retailer has said they won't pay for a repair, what other options are there?

20. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

I guess sell it and cut your losses or find someone who is handy with a soldering iron?