1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Fractal Design Core 3000 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Jan 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Xir

Xir Modder

No Filters, No USB3.
    Where'd this box come from, the 90's?

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Ha. There are dust filters for both the PSU and entire front section, as was mentioned and photographed :p but the lack of USB3 is a shame, yes.

4. MrJim

MrJim What's a Dremel?

Why do so many cases omit a cutout for the 8 pin power cable? It ruins the look of an otherwise neat cabling job. I agree about the lack of USB3 front connector support & filters...both should be standard on any modern case.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was looking at the Core 3000 for a proposed eight-core build - my desktop's in a Define Mini, and I have few complaints other than the lack of a hard drive activity light. If I do end up building another machine, the Core 3000 is certainly high on the list - it's a damn sight cheaper than the Define Mini, for a start...

6. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

I had the same problem of very tight side panels in my Core 1000 seems that it's a problem with the design they use for both cases.

7. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

You'd have to consider it's more about keeping costs down than a design flaw, the 1000 is £30, what do you want for £30? I'm not saying I wouldn't like them, the 1000 is a cracking little case and I'd happily pay a few quid more for some more space (read, any space and a cutout or two) behind the mobo tray.

8. velo

velo What's a Dremel?

So that's the Midgard II and Core 3000 reviewed in the space of less than a fortnight, just as I'm trying to put together a budget build! Good going, BT - now I've just got to decide whether the Core 3000's better cooling and lower price outweighs the Midgard II's USB 3 and better cable routing...

9. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

Personally I find the Core 3000 the better looking case out of the two but the wiring issue is a little off putting. Does anyone think there would be any issues in taking a dremel to the motherboard tray?

10. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I don't see why you couldn't mod the chassis to perform better- that's what we're all here for after all :D

11. samuraiweasel

samuraiweasel What's a Dremel?

I got it 2 weeks ago and i'm happy, i'm still running a q6600 so no USB 3 isn't an issue, till i upgrade.
    build quality is nice.
    @MrJim, there is a cutout for the cpu power, but not all power supplies have a long enough cable...i'm guessing that's why they didn't route it round the back.

12. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

I've got the Core 3000, baught it the stat of the month. Lack of USB3 on the top doesnt really bother me too much as I dont own any USB3 devices.

As for the Cutout it is a bit of a pain not to have a hole up the top but its been mentioned by sniperdude to run the cable through the CPU backplate hole and up over the top of the board of which could be a solution. However with the top fan in its default place there is not much room to work with regards to cabling.

13. Dogbert666

Just to reiterate what's been added to the article, the USB 3.0 version of the Core 3000 which is listed on Fractal's site will be launching in the coming months with a UK MSRP of £54.95. The review and score for the regular Core 3000 remains unchanged, however.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

USB 3.0 version still isn't sold, is it?

15. Dogbert666

All we've been told is that it will be available in the UK in the coming months. No more specifics, sorry!

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Thanks,
    also sorry, i've been reading so many case reviews, i got them mixed up, i thought the review was older

Tags: Add Tags