1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 has become a 'whipping boy'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

hmm my girlfriend has a Wii my brother a PS3 whilst the Wii is fun ill take My PC anyday :->

3. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

whipping boy or just whining boy.. I think the latter ;)

4. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

while I agree that it's often that people like to try to take down who or what ever is on top (call it human nature or what ever). I think that in many cases Sony has brought the bad press on it self.
    Question has the PS3 really been the fastest selling PS console? is that because the other just sold really slowly?

5. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

The majority of the Sony hate started after two things... The rootkit and Killzone 3 trailer.
    Both of which they have themselves to blame for.
    Then it snowballed with the PS3 delays, the cost... adding DRM to DVDs so they wouldn't play on some DVD players... the lack-luster showing of games.. the crappy first round of Blu-Ray releases... and a general arrogance that the PS3 is the greatest and best thing the human race has had the privilege to witness.
    But their phone and TV divisions are doing ok... and everyone likes those ads with the exploding paint and bouncy balls.
    So to "defend the honour of" or "hate" a faceless corporation is completely pointless.

6. d4v3

d4v3 What's a Dremel?

I've had both of the previous Playstations, and the PS3 has kinda passed me by. At the moment, I see it as an expensive box that can do very little for me compared to Microsoft's less expensive box. The PS3 is lacking exclusives that I want to play, therefore why buy one when I have a 360? That said, given time, I think the PS3 could turn into a real gem, but until then, I'll stick with a 360.

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Im gonna sit on the fence on this one, its taken alot of stick but then tbh it deserved it with all the delays and the fact its really expensive. Yes it has a shed load of hardware in there but then if you just want to play games there are 2 very good rival consoles that the PS3 with its price alone can't compete with. When the price comes down to what the xbox is then i'll add it to my shelf and when there are some exclusive games that really use all the hardware inside the big black box. Until the price shifts by £200 Im still very happy with my Xbox and content with my Wii

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

you forgot the killing off of Lik-Sang. :waah:

9. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Did anyone mention Exploding Lappy batteries?
    Either way Its rather clear that they have lost this round. But should be seen is that its such a huge loss on both to the consumer and the company. Just look at the cooperate backlash they have been getting by both developers and market analysis.
    Also loosing alot of A* titles to the other brands must be trully a kick in the balls.

TBH i wouldn't be surprised that Sony would dissapear for the next gen and suddenly come back with something amazing the following gen.

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think this falls in teh same category of "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you". TBH, I think some of the bad press is deserved, some is not, and a good chunk of it is deserved less on the merits of the console but rather on who makes it. The PS3 might be a decent, if overproced, bit of kit, but Sony deserves to die.

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Isn't God of War 2 a PS2 game? Added to which the whole furore was mis-reported, so shouldn't really be used as an example of Sony's behaviour.

PS3 may have become a whipping boy, but as others have noted, it's entirely justified. Sony's attitude during the pre-release phase of PS3, the comparatively high price of the console, and Sony's insistence that the console is selling well (despite evidence to the contrary) all lead to the slant of the reporting of Sony & the PS3. They've got no one else to blame other than themselves.

12. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Another insult to injury is the whole job of developers tuning back the games built for the PS3, They all run 60fps for the 360 but they have been limited to 30fps for the PS3.
    And its not the small Dev's its brands like EA.

13. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I think one of the best quotes i heard from Sony and truly sums them up is "We had better 2nd week sales than Microsoft and Nintendo combined"

Well of course you did, they both sold out in the first week as their consoles we so popular.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2007
  14. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

PC > console any day

and Xbox 360 + Wii > PS3

15. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

LOL!!!! Not to mention you can't take Sony's numbers for real considering the number of people that only bought a system in hopes to sell it on ebay. I work retail and we had a third of the PS3s we sold come back unopened. It took 5 weeks to get rid of those. The other store in our area got a second shipment in after the holidays and the 64 units managed to stretch almost 3 months.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Thats not tuning back the games thats the devs not putting the effort in to optimize the game for different hardware, PS3 a different machine to X360 and needs to be developed for rather than have code ported from Xbox360 to it, if lazy ports from X360 play like arse on a high end PC why would it play any better on a PS3, consoles can't match a highend PC for power but you wouldn't know it with some of the shite that comes out from X360 land to PC, the PS3 is having the same problem.

Sony has been a bit of a whipping boy, some of the press is justified but a lot of it is just to generate page hits on web sites, Sony bashing has become a pastime bit like bashing MS on the OS side and people like to read it.

17. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

LOL, 64 units over 3 months thats awful. It also doesnt help sony's case that they claim they're winning the "high def war" as blue ray has sold more than HD-DVD. This is only after you take into account all the copies of blueray films they bundled with the PS3. Remember, pride becomes a fall.

18. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

sandys, I agree that the Sony bashing has been very misinterpreted and/or non-justified to some respect lately, but at the same time Sony has kind of put it on themselves, but as a company in general really. With that said, why are people associating the PS3 to issues that other Sony departments have created such as the rootkit bug, the battery problem or even the PS2 game GOWII goat thing? I bet you if the PS3 was USD$100 cheaper and had atleast 3-4 great/must-have titles we would all love the PS3 and it would be Sony XXX Corp. that we would actually hate/want gone, but because the PS3 is out of reach for most people, like myself (especially in the EU), they are annoyed and because they feel "out of the Sony crowd" they would rather bash Sony and rejoice the 360/Wii even though the more advanced console that offers the most in terms of futureproofing is the PS3 (of course you have to pay USD$120 more for it over the Elite here in the US). And in regards to the exclusives being lost: who gives a crap! As long as the best games reach the consoles and all consoles are able to show off their stuff, we the consumers win, isn't that what matters? Then, you, the consumer can make the decision as to whether or not the 360, PS3, or Wii is worth the price over any of the other consoles. Just like Phil Harrison stated in the latest GameInformer: he only cares about getting the best games to the PS3, he doesn't care if they go to the other consoles (to a certain extent I would still guess), just as long as the most technologically advanced games get to their consoles, that's all that matters. Frankly, I would venture to say that the PS3 is going to have much better games coming in the next few months considering Sony's own Game Development Studios will be developing most of them. After seeing LittleBigPlanet, it's also hard for me to argue that 3rd parties are having a tough time developing for the PS3. After playing Motorstorm on a 1080p LCD at my local Nebraska Furniture Mart, the PS3 really has a lot more to show in the coming year(s) considering it was a title that debuted with it last November.

As for the PC > console, I totally agree. I myself am I total PC gamer and I would take a PC over a console anyday. You may pay more for hardware, but you will be playing the newest games at excellent FPS for 1-2 years and you can upgrade whenever needed. The PC is the essence of "360" considering people use it for anything and everything.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2007
  19. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I agree that the PS3 is a nice piece of hardware. But I have a high end pc that can play any games that I want at ridiculous fps. I even got that pc for less than a PS3 ( desperate college students:thumb:) I am completely content with that and my wii for now. Once the price goes down on PS3s I may just have to get one. So I think that the reason Sony has become our " whipping boy " is because we don't like people telling us that their product is what we want and need. Like that cocky little kid yelling that hes going to own you, and how great he is. Cockiness is rewarded with a cap in the face.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I would love to agree with the PC > Console agrument but as Microsoft seems to be throwing the biggest spanner in the works for PC games at the moment (Vista) so I have to disagree, you have games which are coming from the 360 onto PC and playing like arse because it cost so much to do seperate develoment paths for different hardware and so something has to suffer, this is typically the PC as devs fear rampant piracy and think they get more coin off of Console, do you think MS gives two hoots about PC gaming if they can push you to their console its all gravy for them, MS is pushing people to Vista to make money with token gestures like games for windows etc. passing off the illusion that they care about gaming on the PC, selling you a vision of the PC and Console in perfect harmony but the company itself see its future in digital distribution and centralized software servers, the future is everyone paying a subscription to use the OS and software on an MS closed box (the nexbox probably) the Xbox is the foot in the door, people are bashing Sony but not looking at the MS long game.

As for PC hardware costs and value a 8800GTX isn't going to last 2 years the card is already struggling in recent DX10 benches ( lost planet. CoH, CoJ ) to do more than 60fps at HD resolutions, in 12 months you'll be wanting something better, you could buy a PS3/Xbox for the price of one of those cards and it will last more than 2 years and the games will always work, no waiting 9 months for drivers, patches, no disappointment when you put your £2k windows box on to play R6V and get 20fps or something equally ****, theres something to be said for the current generation of consoles, enough grunt to look good and play well from the off and as developers become more familiar with the hardware will only get better, will your PC software get better without major hardware spend, it hasn't in the 25 years or so that I've been PC gaming, its unlikely to start now, tis very sad.

I am fortunate enough to have all consoles and a decent PC and apart from cranking up a few race sims I have found it hard to justify my PC cost, I use a cheap lappy for web stuff as it doesn't consume 300w idle or make noise like my games PC and have been getting my fill of gaming via the Consoles and its suprising my games PC hasn't been on much since Jan (when I picked up the 360)

Oooh, I'm rambling and ranting now, probably making no sense and right off topic :duh: :blush:

Tags: Add Tags