1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other XenServer

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldstar0011, 11 Jun 2012.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Anyone here expereinceed in XenServer?

We use it at work so started playing about at home and reading up, seems like a preety decent setup as found out we're looking to head towards thin clients down the line

2. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

I've used it a bit. It's nice. I designed and manage the Vmware estate for my employer so looking at the other server virtualisation offerings is something I get time to do. You don't get all the really nice features till you buy xen center but on it's own for a small virtualisation project xen is cool. Much better than the current incarnation of hyper v.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

3. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Proxmox VE

There is also openstack but I have yet to try it.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Depends what you want to do with it, if you want to host Citrix Servers with a published desktop it's fine but if you want to deploy virtual workstations to the TC's something like VMware View would be better.

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

erm... I have no idea

Current work setup is that I login vvia browser and click the app I want and it loads via Citrix Receiver and I use it like I would if was on site

The plan at work is to get people on thin clients and rather than a local stored OS it's on the server and everyone has a profile for the apps they need

I want to learn this as I'm pushing to transfer to IT, the IT manager is having to research this himself so hopefully I can use it as a selling point

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Ah so you are wanting to deploy Apps to users not a Desktop, yeah XenServer is great for running Citrix servers on.

Xen is certainly worth learning the basics of as it's used worldwide. It can get itself in a bit of a mess sometimes so you might have to dip into the command line to fix it.

Depending on your setup you can get it to just destroy the guest and auto-create another in no time, same goes for patching time. Just do the template and let it re-create the VM's. Nice :D

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Currently it's just apps here so that'd be my first thing to learn but delopying desktops is were we're heading.

Reading the PDF from the website about the templates and will be rebuilding a few PC's at home to allow testing etc

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Deploying a desktop is no different from an app really, just make sure group policy is setup as you want it and away you go.

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Oh the Mrs is not gonna be happy with me when I start using all the PC's in the house for testing

10. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

Use virtual machines for testing?

11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Stoppped for a whille but got hold of a coupler of PC's and server from here, thinking making a seperate network for testing, just not had time yet

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't get as much time with it as I'd like, but I love it.

One of our customers has four massive XenServers, and sorting their machine issues out is actually a joy.

I love the Citrix Receiver on the iPad, too, that's the icing on the cake IMO.