1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'm impressed. I actually own this game already, but never got past the tutorial due to time constraints. I think once I finish Skyrim I'll be playing this.

3. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

An excellent game, from an excellent studio. I really do enjoy this series of games ... it's Mass Effect with Swords.

4. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

One does not simply "finish" Skyrim - you'll have to just start playing tw2 asap! =)

5. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Having played The Witcher 2 through twice for both story arcs I can't help but wonder what the "Enhanced" version brings to the table.

6. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I need to get round to finishing the first one of this! and mass effect 1! My exams just now are draining my life force need to get the uni malarky finished with!

7. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Hey hey hey. There is no need to be insulting about The Witcher, Jasio!

8. Phalanx

I must admit, Skyrim isn't holding me how I thought it would. I think it's perhaps TOO open for me. I like the story-led RPGs like Witcher more. I loved the first. I'll finish Skyrim's main story, no problem, but I'm not much into the exploring side.

9. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

This ^_^

10. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Filler mostly, I think. More tangential dialogue & side quest, a few extra weapons, bombs & traps apparently & the usual graphical & performance optimisations a big patch brings.

If you've played it twice then it's probably not worth another look so soon. But I only did the one run through & that was at launch, on normal, before dark mode. So now I'm going to give that a go on a second run through & with all these extra bells & whistles, making alternate choices. Which I think will all add up to more than enoguh to make it an interesting different experience.

11. Phalanx

Do you guys recommend a controller over mouse/keyboard for this?

12. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the clarification but may have to give it another go as couldn't get enough of this or even the first Witcher and both were over far too soon for my liking.

13. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Have played using both and both work equally well, tho as much as I normally favour KB+mouse it was the xbox controller I found provided a more relaxed way to play overall.

14. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

what was wrong with the first release ?, didnt play it, but cant help but think that this is a cash grab.....for those on pc anyway, any other studio that re-released a game as "enhanced" would be blown away with trolling, just frackin take the time to finish games properly, I am really starting to get fed up with endless updates and dlc.......this is just another example of it...

15. Phalanx

How is it a cash grab when people who already own the game get this version for free as a patch?

And thanks tad2008, I'll try the controller out.

16. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

********. Not only is the DLC free but responding to what the community asked for in bug fixes and a bit of balancing is awesome! The original game was exceptional and this reportedly adds 4 hours of extra content that I am sure will be awesome as well.

17. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

So did you guys just copy-paste the old review or what?

18. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I think an 'Enhanced Edition' is sort of a house tradition for Witcher games. The first Witcher game was so poorly presented that it needed a comprehensive reworking just to make it playable, and it was really good to see that level of commitment from a company when most would simply shove a turd out the door and count their money.

However the Witcher 2 really didn't need enhancement in the same way, so it'll be interesting to see what's there.

I'm not sure that I agree with the praise for the story though. An adult story does not simply mean that every single character has to be a completely unsympathetic swine. There is a hell of a lot to like about the game certainly, and I rate it among my favourites, but I think it falls into the modern fantasy cliché (by way of Game of Thrones) that there are no heroes or villains, just worlds full of people that are crying out for a good flu pandemic. But if you can embrace the relentless misanthropy of those stories then it's all good.

19. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I played the witcher 1 in the enhanced version. And I loved it.

Witcher 2 feels like above average at most for me.

Am I the only one that think the combat system in witcher 2 is utterly annoying? Annoying to the point of stop playing it?

20. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

You can't fill someones virtual house with virtual cheese? OH NO! I hate Skyrim, and I'm going to really hate future games that look at it as a benchmark :( It makes me want to make my own game which is all about diarrhea. I can just see the reviews now, "The next big RPG you have all been waiting for is finally here! And boy are you in for a treat. It may not let you smear diarrhea all over your face like you can in rogerrabbits's fantastic World of Poo, but it's still a good game in it's own conservative non poo smearing way."

Tags: Add Tags