1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One launches to generally positive reviews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 22 Nov 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I waiting till games like titan fall will actually make the purchase worth it.

Can't ready justify higher res textures and resolution boost when games like AC4, BF4, etc... offer the same on 360/PS3

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I'll buy the halo special edition.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There is also a decent boost in the framerate which is much more useful than Image Quality.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

more intrested to know if Microsofts console can outsell sonys. Sony only launched in USA so surely with multiple regions Microsoft is looking at the 2mil plus in sales id imagine.

The reviews look alot like the ps4 reviews good hardware poor launch lineup.

Anyword on when all the tv stuff thats on USA console will get released in the UK or other parts of the world yet?

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

US reviews seem to state that if you have cut the cord the TV stuff is limited to just putting a show on, which was apparently helpful whilst reviewing boring launch games :D Can't see it being that useful in the UK unless they do some sort of sports tie up with Sky, time will tell.

I think it would be a cool feature generally though, I would use it for some stuff, depending on game.

The X1 line up looks marginally better to me but then I would enjoy a game of Forza seeing as my Xboxes are only PGR/Forza players although they also do kinect dance games for my daughter :D

7. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

It would be excellent if they fully implemented the PVR functionality so you could plug a TV box into the Xbox, and use the xbox to set recordings and control the channel (even using the tablet app to browse listing and set recordings), however I cant really see that happening as Sky would be properly annoyed and do whatever they could to block that functionality

8. Vittorio

Vittorio What's a Dremel?

Everyone is going on about how they want the XBone to do this and that, but whats is the point? Its a games console that is there to play games on, why would you want to talk to it? Its not going to have a conversation with you, for a new console to use out of date tech inside seems to be a bit of a sideways step. Why put DDR 3 into it? Its was not a cost saving exercise, why not make the HDD accessible to the user to upgrade and replace?

End of the day it is going to be down to what people want a PS4 or a XBone they will make the decision. I will own both but the XBone will sit in the box and never get opened as I dont want to have to pay for a game and then pay again to play it online with others.

The more important factor is going to be which one will be Hacked first to allow homebrew to run on it?

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got some bad news for you there, chap: the PS4 requires the player to have a paid PSN+ subscription for multiplayer online gaming, just like the Xbox 360/Xbox One require a paid Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Good news: your PSN+ subscription will also get you free games! Bad news: so does Microsoft's Xbox Live Gold subscription, under the Games with Gold programme. Basically, one of the biggest reasons to opt for a PS3 over an Xbox 360 no longer applies to the PS4 and Xbox One.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its trying to be more than a games console, it is trying to tie into all things TV related and become your home entertainment hub, everyone from big companies like Sony, Samsung, Apple, Google, MS etc to Supermarkets like Tesco are vying for that position to try and get you to spend money through their portals and preferably theirs alone, MS is getting stuck right in there by taking in something that people spend many hours doing, watching their TV and offering overlays etc to augment the experience. I like the idea but it's going to take time.

Whilst it sorts itself out i'll be playing on a PS4, i'm already locked into to that ecosystem .

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

True. I'm disappointed that you now need PSN+ for full functionality, but PSN+ or even a barebones PS4 still has advantages over Microsoft's approach:
    1) Media apps aren't behind the PSN+ paywall, unlike Gold.
    2) Free-to-Play games aren't behind the PSN+ paywall (such as PlanetSide2).
    3) PSN+ free game are ridiculously better than the ones offered by Gold.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The media apps that exist, anyway. Shame about DLNA, MP3, CD playback, innit? (Yes, yes, I know, support has been hinted - but only hinted - to be coming in the future. Still knocks about 50% of what I use my PS3 for out the water until that happens, though.)
    True for the current generation, but Microsoft hasn't stated what games will be on offer for the Xbox One yet. Remember that the original Games With Gold was a stop-gap programme designed to keep current-gen buyers happy while the hype machine built up steam for the Xbox One launch; now it's been confirmed as being a permanent feature of a Gold subscription, I'd expect Microsoft to dramatically improve the quality of titles on offer simply to compete with Sony.

Disclaimer: I own a PS3 and an Xbox 360 (among other things), used to have a paid Gold subscription but no longer do, and have no intention of buying an Xbox One or a PS4 until at least the sales in January 2015.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

If Sony continue as they have, media apps (apparently the BBC iPlayer one is due) will remain outside the PSN+ paywall, ditto future functionality of DLNA etc. I think Sony got caught with their trousers down on that one and are scrambling to put those bits and bobs back in. It's similar to the PS3 in a way, as that also launched with very poor media functionality beyond the BD drive.

I hope MS improve their offerings on Games with Gold, because the current ones are terrible. Sony are kicking off the PS4 with Resogun, which is amazing...and nothing from MS.

Oh, here's a list of what Gold gets you:
    Multiplayer gaming
    Premium entertainment apps
    Internet Explorer
    Exclusive deals and special offers, including discounts
    OneGuide
    GameDVR

Bit floored that SmartMatch, Internet Explorer and GameDVR are behind the paywall. Internet Explorer, really?

EDIT: For clarity, I also own a PS3 and 360. No longer have a Gold sub as it was a waste of money, but I do have PSN+. PS4 on order.

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just had a disgruntled delivery guy come around the office moaning about all the Xbox he has to deliver today and can't believe so many people have the money to waste on these things, seems popular :D

15. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

I think if you just want a console to play games on then the PS4 is the winner. Cheaper, slightly better hardware etc, but if you want a media player and games console then the XBone is better. It depends on your needs. The other key thing to consider is what your friends will be playing on because you don't want to buy a console and have to play online on your own all the time. And finally what exclusive titles are going to be available in the future that you're going to want to play?

All i want is a games console, I like the PS4 exclusive games and all my mates are getting PS4's too. So that's an easy decision for me....

16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I'm quite looking forward to doing that too actually. I've never been in the position where I've needed a new console at the time of the Halo special edition (and I can't justify just getting a new one because... needs). They'd better release an awesome version like the Halo 4 edition, because quite frankly I think the Xbox One looks like crap (not a fan of the PS4 either). Halo 5's looking to be a pretty expensive game...

Tags: Add Tags