1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending your integrity

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Margo Baggins, 3 Jul 2014.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Hello,

How do you do it?

I have been a sysadmin for nearly 5 years now, I have all the keys to all my clients sites, both physically and metaphorically. I enjoy my job, massively.

Recently, through no fault of my own beyond being friendly my integrity has come into question. It was only for a fleeting minute, but it has got me thinking, how do you ensure that your integrity is defended and does not come into question? My boss thankfully defended me to the client, and I didn't really hear anything on it officially save being told by my boss that x y z has happened, and at first people thought it was your wrong doing.

In short, someone accessed things they shouldn't have accessed and due to me being friendly with them (a female - but, i'm a nice guy, I'm nice to all people) they thought I had given over passwords in order for them to access what they shouldn't of accessed.

I don't really want to be this shadow that comes and goes and sorts out IT and then leaves, I like to engage my clients, and staff at my client sites - it makes my day better, and to be honest I've been working with some of these people for so long now it's like they are my colleagues (they sort of are anyway.) - but this doesn't mean that I don't know where the line is.

I have never, ever divulged nor done anything for anyone on a whim or for any kind of gain. Because I work in SME I usually only deal with the higher tiers of the organisation to establish what I need to do and what my responsibilities are.

I don't think there is any problem, I know my boss knows what is what. But as a sysadmin your integrity is really all you have beyond technical prowess, but working in IT that is kind of a given.

/rant.

2. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

IMO people can think what they like, let the evidence or lack of decide, which includes track history.

Let your boss sort it out and don't get emotionally involved over an accusation, you'll always be first point of blame for people accessing information they shouldn't have if you're in control of that information, just make sure you've followed guidelines and your personal ethics and can prove it should there be a call to.

Anything I do for a company is always documented via email, even if it is changing a password.

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I've always defended mine with honesty and like yourself would usually get the backing of my bosses for the situation.

My job does a lot of phone calling to discuss stocks and requirements etc but I always request an email, most often than I'd like I find out someone is saying I said I'll do something but I didn't. Gladly a lot of my colleagues all work on getting an email confirmation, without it they have no leg to stand on.

Still not nice when someone has misheard and won't admit it but it's just the way things are I guess.

4. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    If you had to deal with some of the people that I do that "work in IT" then you really wouldnt say that.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I know I should have added a disclaimer about that :p I think I once started an entire thread about the incompetence of some people working in IT!

thanks for replies folks.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I don't have to defend my integrity; others have to challenge it with proof. Fail to do so, and i wont even acknowledge their existence.