1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Zalman CNPS14X review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 11 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

So complicated!
    Just looking at the graphs it doesn't look very competitive against other cooling solutions, but the price makes it look more attractive.
    It is a situation that cries out desperately for a scatter plot, with performance on one axis and price on the other.
    I'd do it but I'm too lazy, and I don't care enough.

EDIT: Fine, I do have too much time on my hands.
    [​IMG]
    S1155 HSF only - X-axis = Price (US$ gathered from various US online retailers, YMMV) and Y-axis = Delta T (from article)

Observations:
    • As we can see Intel OEM HSF is both cheap and ineffective, so it is at the Top-Left of the plot.
    • The Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro is most expensive and is on the far-Right. We can note that it is significantly more expensive than the other AIO water-coolers from Corsair and Antec, yet performs no better.
    • The ideal HSF for price/performance would be one that is to the Bottom-Left. The best HSF that matches the ideal profile is the Arctic Cooling i30 which is both cheap and effective, if at the expense of some noise.
    • The Gelid Tranquillo R2 is not as good as the i30, but it is slightly cheaper and quieter, while out performing the Gelid GX-7 and the Thermolab Trinity. I cannot see why you would buy either of the last two.
    • The Phantecks and the two Be Quiet! HSF are very expensive air coolers, and purchasing either of the Be Quiet!s would be an ask, especially the Pro 2 where both the Corsair H80 and Antec 920 are cheaper. The Phantecks is cheaper, but there is the Zalman CNPS14x that neatly straddles the Phantecks' high/low performance for $23 less.

Personal Decision:
    • If I was on a budget and I wanted quiet I'd go Gelid Tranquillo, and if I wanted performance the Arctic Cooling i30.
    • If my budget could stretch a bit further I would go with the Zalman CNPS14x.
    • If I was going to spend serious coin on cooling I would probably go with the Corsair H80.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2012
  3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh wow a rather decent cooler from Zalman? They've been completely lost with this stuff for YEARS... Good to see them back.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I don't get it - the thing is HUGE and ridiculously heavy yet it doesn't do a very good job. I guess put a better fan in it and it could be a major competitor.

5. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

wouldn't you just remove the RAM for this??

a bigger complaint would be the positioning of VRM components by cooler mounts making fitting a pain

Tags: Add Tags