1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Samsung 840 256GB SSD - Low Read/Write rate?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tsutton, 1 Mar 2013.

1. tsutton

tsutton Minimodder

Hi all,

Just got my new Samsung 840 256GB SSD this morning. I have upgraded the firmware to the latest version which is DXT07B0Q

I have run the Performance Benchmark via the Samsung Magician software (v4.0) and here is the result:

[​IMG]

This is based on the "Maximum Performance" for the OS Optimization setting. I am getting similar result if I change the OS Optimization setting to "Maximum Reliability" and also "Maximium Capacity"

I can confirm that AHCI Mode is enabled and also is connected via SATA 6Gb/s (SATS3 connection)

This is from Windows 7 64 bit (SP1), running on these hardware:

ASUS P8Z77-M Pro
    Intel Core i5 3570k
    16GB Corsair DDR3

Does anyone know why I am getting lower performance? Am I missing something else?

Thanks.

2. suragh

suragh Derp

The performance seems reasonably good from my eyes. I don't like using the magician software personally. I would use cinebench or atto.

3. tsutton

tsutton Minimodder

Hmm ok. It's just that it states that it will do 96,000 IOPS for read and 62,000 IOPS for write according to the specs. I'm just wondering why I'm getting lower readings from it...

Will check out cinebench & atto and see what it says.

Thanks.

4. tsutton

tsutton Minimodder

I noticed that the chipset drivers was old version, so I upgraded it to the latest version. Here's the latest stats. A bit of improvement but still not meeting the goals of the SSD specs?

[​IMG]

Or am I being too picky?

5. narwen

narwen narwen

if its your boot drive then windows and over programs will be writing and reading from the drive.
    to get max iops you would have to test the drive has a secondary will out anything using the drive ie antivirus.

6. tsutton

tsutton Minimodder

That would make sense... yes it is indeed the boot drive. So I guess I have nothing to worry about as long as it's "near" the specs that it's meant to do.

Thanks!