1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Magic anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by crazyg1zm0, 5 Oct 2008.

1. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

as i have been playing alot of:

Magic the gathering

over the past 2 weeks due to the new block (shards of alara) being released I was wondering a few things:

1) do any of my fellow bit-techer's play the game for fun or competitevly?
    2) how long have you been playing if you do play?
    3) what are the gems of your collection?
    4) what do you think of the new set?
    5) what events do you enjoy most?

to answer my questions :p

1) yes i play as a casual player although i enter the grand prix trials when they are at the shop i go to
    2) started when shadowmoor came out ( well a few weeks before) so lorwind and morningtide
    3) my planeswalkers and a few of the new mithics and once finished my EDH (elder higher dragon) and red aggro decks will be my faveourite although i think i will enjoy my affinity deck once complete (few of the older cards needed and a few new ones)
    4) a fun set with some intersting I WIN cards and some nice combos to be had a very easy set for draft games and good for sealed events but a bit more tricky in that format but i think certain decks in standard and extended e.g the affinity deck have the cards to do very well with a good deck.
    5) i mainly play draft and standard but am building an EDH deck and usually play sealed competitons for fun.

one final thing to say is is anyone about thinking about trying magic cards for fun cause its a great social thing as i personly have made lots of friends considering i only started in may/june with a long break (summer hols) when i went home from uni. Any questions just ask though the older sets/cards am not an expert on but can help and any players looking for some of the shadowmoor/shards cards for trade i can help you there if you leave a message saying what cards you want.

pete

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I used to play a long time ago. I started before the Legends expansion, so the vast majority of my cards are from that era (Arabian Nights up through Ice Age). In the beginning, I only played for fun. When I was in college I played in a couple local tournaments - I managed to win once. I went to a state qualifier once. I got a few artists' autographs, but the experience overall was negative.

I eventually got tired of the constant influx of new cards (and new rules), and finally left the game altogether. All my cards are still in a box somewhere in the attic.

Somewhere along the line, I started collecting more than playing. I really liked Quinton Hoover and Drew Tucker, and so I collected all of the cards for which they did the art (only up through Ice Age, about the time I left the game). For some reason I was really into the Amrou Kithkin card, and I managed to collect over 500 of them, in every edition and language printed at the time.

I had a lot of fun when I played casually with my friends. I quickly grew tired of the tournament scene and all of the stuffy rules lawyers arguing over the interpretation of insignificant rules.

-monkey

3. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

1) do any of my fellow bit-techer's play the game for fun or competitively?

I used to play both, quite a while back. Was a ranked player, 94 in Colorado think it was.

2) how long have you been playing if you do play?

I played for probably about 3 or 4 years, at a game shop and with several of my coworkers during lunch and after work occasionally. I left that job and we met weekly at the local shop until they moved way up north of here. I found a link for them recently... they've moved way south now and gone upscale. Amazing! I might even pull my cards out again as my future son-in-law plays Magic... How better to teach him who's the boss? ;P

3) what are the gems of your collection?

Man, can't recall now, but was able to trade for some lovely Beta/Third Edition dual lands or whichever they were.

4) what do you think of the new set?

No idea, as I've not kept up with things for quite some time.

5) what events do you enjoy most?

I really liked the new release tourneys. Won a draft event for one that I had no clue what to do.

4. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

1) For fun a lot at college, have played in a few pre-release tournaments, a JSS(when I was younger) and a Grand Prix.
    2) Been playing since Mercadian Masques was the current set.
    3) Sol Ring, Sarkhan Vol, 4x Hypnotic Specter and a Time Spiral/Brain Freeze deck.
    4) Having spent about $100 on it so far between a pre-release and packs, I have to say I love it. It has some really cool cards and themes. 3 color is not my favorite thing in the world, but all of my friends here at college have Shards only decks, and my Esper and Bant decks seem to be some of the better ones.
    5) My EDH is not very good, but extremely fun when it works, I use Experiment Kraj as my general. I am working on a BRG Dragon EDH using Darigaaz the Ignitor as the general. As far as playing, I like playing a variety of 2-5 player games or Emperor. My personal deck choices are usually something with blue or black for destruction or control purposes. Me and my friend also decided to build decks using only cards from Arabian Nights - Fallen Empires and Fourth Edition, which should be a fun match-up of games.(I went totally opposite of how I normally play and went RG Beatdown and he went mono-black Fallen Angel.)

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

1) I played when Mirrodin block was the hotness - played 2 pre-releases (dark steel and fifth dawn) and was ranked somewhere in top 5 in the country (out of maybe 20 players)
    2) I played for about a year... maybe a bit more... still play occasionally, but with noone here selling cards, and even less people still playing, i kinda lsot track of what's hot and what's not.
    3) Gems? - 4 Raksha golden cubs in foil, some other rare-rare's (yes, i have a chrome mox - was the hot stuff when mirrodin was hot), a ravager (i know he's restricted/banned now), some skullclamps (banned), etc.
    4) No idea - i only saw one card of it.
    5) Any sealed deck event. Drafts, Pre-releases, vintage sealed deck events... anything where your personal library falls out of the picture, and crazy mechanics spring into it.

6. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

1) Played a lot in high school / sixth form, but I felt that after Legions, deck building became somewhat boring for Type II, and I never had anything like the money for Type I! I do have a quick look on the Wizard's site every now and then to see what they are doing, but apart from the multicast cards (either / or) I haven't seen anything that grabbed me.

2) I basically played from Tempest Block through to Onslaught Block, although I did dabble a bit in the set after Onslaught.

3) I have sold all my cards now, so don't have any. Personal favourites that I did have were some Beta split lands (loved them), Shadowmage Infiltrator, Tolarian Accademy and some others whose names I have forgotten. I tended to like building slightly quirky decks for general play, although I used to keep an obscenely fast (2 turn) goblin deck and a hardcore mono blue control for if some little **** was getting cocky in college!

4) No idea, not looked. Might go have a butchers though

5) Only ever played pre-release. Magic is much smaller in the UK, and if you live outside of a big city, anything decent sized is hard to come by.

7. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I played a long time ago. Stopped around the time 4th edition came out. Played more for fun but did some regional tournaments. My best cards are 3rd edition Mox (3 or 4) and a bunch of other old rares. Havent touched my cards in 10-15 years i think :)

8. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

eBay beckons. Mox cards go for about the £100 mark (or at least they did last time I looked) and that was for Revised as opposed to original Alpha / Beta editions.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I know someone (for those that played mirrodin block - you might appreciate the odds of this), who, when she played her first pre release (5th dawn) opened the Mirroding Tournament pack, and pulled out a platinum angel AND a (and read this very carefully) FOIL CHROME MOX. From ONE box... one word was in all of us: "WTF" pronounced as one word...

10. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

i have seen some mental pulls on the pre-releases for the latest events. and yea the chrome mox is still worth a fortune. not seen one in a long time. as for type 1 decks i am currently building a kithkin type 1 deck as it is cheap as hell and quite easy to play but is easily beaten. but am working on building a couple of other type 1 decks so i have something to punish with.

small note last night finished (to a good standard) my red/gree aggro deck and my artifact token generator deck there are still a few older cards i need e.g some cryptic commands (been released as the new rewards foil card) :D

[​IMG]
    http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=141819

11. Gravemind123

Actually, Chrome Mox ought to go up in price again now that they unrestricted it in Vintage. I love the textless rewards cards, just ordered myself 3x Mortify textless and 2x Damnation textless(both with alternate art) to complete a deck.

12. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

yea agree if i could i would love a full deck of textless cards but know it would not be possible to get all the cards i need printed as textless let alone do enough games/trade enough to get them,

also on the damnation front you heard of the new artifact card called scourglass:

3 mana tap to remove all non land non artifact cards from teh game, so monsters, enchantments (goodbye 0blivion ring) even planeswalker (mate scourglassed away his own planeswalker.

i am runing one of these in my artifact token generator deck but need 1 or 2 more to make it perfect.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

i ran a charge counter deck for a while... dross scorpions, spawning pool, coretapper Myr, Soul Foundry, Chimeric egg, archbound crusher (i think it was him - works a bit like the Chimeric Egg, but with artifact spells instead of non-artifact spells) and that card that needs 20 charge counters to win the game... was good fun... especially in multiplayer... nothing quite like a couple of could-be-6/6-trample-at-the-blink-of-an-eye cards to hold the board under control... that's until one guy in our playing circle built a Wrath of God/Ruhk egg/white lifegain deck... that messed with my chi a bit...

and then there was my red-suicide deck... sacrifice all artifacts, and burn the guy dead...
    oh, and my blue Mill deck... it was extended at the time (like most of my decks), but it worked reliably... friend of mine even managed to hold off a raffinity deck and a tooth and nail deck with it (until about turn 10) once...

14. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Man, this thread is making me want to play again. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

15. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

well just try a FNM (friday night magic) event when your local place is running a sealed or draft event as you sample the new cards which are very good. and depending on the rares/mithic you get if you dont enjoy it you can sell them and be in profit.

16. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Good thinking Batman. There isn't anywhere near my home town that does it, but there is a place near here at Uni that does. Friday nights could be a problem though...

17. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

well just go in and ask when the next sealed or draft. is i know the shop i goto does a draft most sundays. and some form of cometiton on saturdays. but friday nights is a garuntee for some form of magic as its in the name FNM.

as a matter of interest where do you go to uni. and i have the same problem. cause there is a shop near me when i am at uni but not when i am at home so i usually miss a fair bit during the summer

18. Gravemind123

I built a Shards of Alara only deck based on the Esper Shard using a bunch of artifacts including Scourglass. It's a cool card and great late game to take out everyone else' stuff and swing for the win.

Drafts are a great way to learn a new set, I prefer draft to sealed deck, but sealed deck seems to becoming more and more popular.

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I played very briefly a long time ago, but then realised collecting a CCG was a waste of money. I really dislike buying a booster pack and having no idea what I'm getting. They're more of a money making scheme than a game in the eyes of the makers IMO.

I did play it again recently and quite enjoyed it, but it's not really something I would want to get into.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2008
  20. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

well i very rarely buy booster packs i get all my cards from playing in the events be it sealed/draft or a tournament sealed (different as you dont open your own cards you open 2 boosters and a tourney pack and the register all the cards the hand them in to be given to somone else)

i only buy boosters when a new set comes out and then i buy a box of them at a discount price which gives me most of the cards i need any rares i still need i just trade from others.