1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Kickstart fundraising for your mod with Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 10 Dec 2009.

1. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Interesting but you forgot to mention that it is open for US citizens only. It is invitation-only which means it is only available to well connected people who probably don't really need the funding.. Interesting idea though. Maybe the idea will spread and be more widely available.

3. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Ah, didn't realise it was US only - as for invite only, I think that will change fairly soon, and I think if you were the first modder, we could probably maybe help get you an invite :)

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I would have to have an invite in order to be the first modder....its the chicken or the egg thing all over again. lol

I have joined the site and the associated Facebook page. The Facebook page looks like a giant beg-fest for invites. I have a project proposal but I don't see any mechanism for submitting it...unless I have an invitation.

5. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

Let me know if you guys want an article on getting mod sponsorships at that really is my strong area ;)

6. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

After further review...

Successful funding seems to be tied to the ability to offer backers specific reward(s) for their financial support. For example, people who seek funding for producing or publishing their work are offering free or discount pricing for the resulting product. Cool idea but I don't see how that translates to case modding. What can a case modder offer a backer in exchange for their cash? (Insert sexually oriented "job" joke here).

The system doesn't require that you give out rewards to backers but I didn't see any examples of that actually working.

7. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

DarthBeavis, that could really be helpful for modders starting or already established and recognized modders that in some point of their projects or life, can't manage to have the funds to see their projects through. Some piece of hardware that is hard to find or very limited to some countries. Everyone must have been through that at some point of their modding procedure

Tags: Add Tags