1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus P7P55D Deluxe Raid setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abbo, 25 Apr 2010.

1. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

I have just finished my first build. So far so good...

I have one question at the moment. I have 5 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard drives. One I am using as the C: drive and the other four I am planning to use in Raid 5 configuration. I have managed to set up one volume in the BIOS (may decide to create smaller volumes, but that's another story).

I have installed Vista Business and I can see the VOlume as unallocated space. Apart from un allocating the space and creating partitions is there anything else I need to do to complete the Raid 5 setup. I can't see that there's anything, but didn't know if I needed a Raid Controller. This is all new to me so I'm not sure?

If anyones asking why I decided to do this, I've done it as something new to learn, and I will find the Raid 5 setup useful.

Thanks

Abbo

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Nope, just format as you will. :) I use RAID 5 on 3 F1's and it was easy to setup.

3. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

I've heard if your using a raid controller it prefers to use odd numbers of disks well for some controllers eg nforce http://forums.storagereview.com/ind...uperb-write-speeds-with-nforce-onboard-raid5/ . it might be better if in the bios you set all the disks to raid, then raid 5 the whole lot, you'll see more of an improvement with boot times, if you desperatly want to have seperate drives you can always partition them quickly.