1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve hardware beta scheduled for next year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

ohhhlala

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So no SteamBox then? I am a sad panda :(.

Fine, I'll build my own SteamBox then! With Blackjack! And hookers! .... In fact, forget the SteamBox!

Another of Valve's hardware people, Jeff Keyzer, did an interview with the Amp Hour a while back (linkage: http://theamphour.com/2012/04/22/the-amp-hour-92-vellicate-videogame-vocation/). He was very cagey about what he'd actually be working on... Still an interesting discussion anyway; and it's a good podcast, go subscribe to it :p

4. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

:D lol

5. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

I think bit-tech has forgotten about Valve time. Expect it along with (insert Valve game here) 3.

6. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I look forward to seeing it when it arrives. One thing you get with valve is a quality finished product, with quality support afterwards. I might wish they were a bit quicker but would it be worth the downsides it brings. 2-5 years means 5-8.

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Really not sure what Valve are planning. Unless they've come up with an awesome new control mechanism, however, it's going to fail...

A console would be commercial suicide in the current market., and a streaming service wouldn't be far behind, so that's out.

A device that works much like an HTPC with Steam installed might sell, but they already exist right now, in the guise of an HTPC with Steam installed.

Any PC hardware based device with a non-Windows OS will be crippled by the inability to run 95% of the games available on Steam, which would make it even worse than a Mac for gaming on, let alone a console.

We already have perfectly good controllers from Microsoft and others for sofa-based PC gaming.

That leaves... what? Virtual Reality? A Kinect clone? Motion controllers? Some clever way of inputting regular PC keyboard and mouse commands comfortably from a sofa?

I'm really interested to know what they're planning, but as it's Valve I'll likely have to wait three years to find out.

8. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

This,
    plus an oculus rift thats tied into a kinetic please :)

9. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Oh, and all tied into work with ep3

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

11. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Just PLEASE get rid of the horrible dx9 evil that is the Source Engine!!

Tags: Add Tags