1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Slow opening panels or doors?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by beowulff, 20 May 2006.

1. beowulff

beowulff What's a Dremel?

I have seen some cases that have doors and panels that are opened by a spring release, and then slowly open up completely. Also some top-loading cd-players and cassete decks open up that way. I want something like that for some stealth panels for a custom case I am planning.

Unfortunately, I do not own one of those myself that I would not mind taking apart, so I have not been able to find out how the mechanism works, let alone what parts I would need for that. Sofar, googling or searching forums has not given me much more info either. Can anybody explain to me what makes this work? Are there some of-the-shelf parts that I can get for this? And if so, any pointers to where I could get them?

2. ARM

ARM Minimodder

Hi Beowulff,
    One idea is to use the tray motor & mechanism from a CD ROM. The small motor uses 5V and is able to push/pull some small loads (like panels / doors).

ARM

3. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Most use a spring powered mechanism that is lubricated with a high viscosity grease, this causes resistance and the door/flap to open very slowly.

4. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

In cars, on flappy things that spring back slowly, 9 times out of ten, it is done using a spring that is damped using a urethane / elastomer insert - look at a longish tension spring on a cam with an insert...

5. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

you could also use a dashpot, these arelike pistons (nearly) but filled with some king of viscose substance, and provide resistance.

6. beowulff

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was actually looking for a non-motorized solution, those would be simpler.

7. beowulff

Hmm, I did not know the term dashpot yet, but a little googling seems to suggest it could be what I'm looking for. Apparently, there exist both linear and rotational dashpots. Now only to find out where I can get those... Or what the dutch term for it is, for that matter, if I want to find dutch shops ;)

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

on other cases, there's a gear moulded into the door, and it spins with another on the case's face that offers resistence.

9. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

the lid on a PS1 had a gear on it that provided high friction, to make the lid open slowly when the button was pressed.

You can probably pick up a few of them for very cheap / free by asking around.